What can I do to minimize FUT scar?

Just 3 days ago I had a mega session hair transplant with both FUT and FUE for the crown. My doctor used a trichophytic closure to minimize the scarring. She recommended I lightly rub the scar in the shower over the next few days to help it heal. Aside from this is there anything else that has been proven to speed and improve the scar? Could I take vitamins or apply cream to the scar?

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. Lightly rubbing the scar is the extent of your ability to reduce scarring. I suggest that you consult with your board certified facial plastic surgeon throughout your healing process to ensure that you are not doing anything to harm your healing process.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Strip scar healing

Unfortunately, you do not have control over the healing of a strip scar once it is done by a skilled surgery. Any scar healing is individual dependent. Some people heal scars better than others. Just keep your fingers crossed. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scar avoidance with hair transplant surgery

The best way to avoid scarring with hair transplant surgery is to not have the strip FUT procedure done in the first place. This procedure creates a linear scar along the donor site with attendant scar related hair loss (alopecia). A meticulous and multi-layered scalp wound closure will help with wound healing. There is no clinical evidence for PRP, A Cell or other treatments to improve scar quality. If this was the case, these materials would have found broader applications in plastic surgery such as facelifts, tummy tucks and the like.

FUE Scarring

Generally there are not vitamins you can take to help speed up healing of the scar.  At 14 days post op, the scar should be healed fairly well and the strength should be about 80% prior to surgery.  I generally use PRP with Acell during my strip/FUT surgeries to promote healing in the scar and accelerate its vascularization.  At this point its best to just follow the advice of your doctor.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

You need to speak with your doctor regarding scarring and minimizing the scar.

You need to speak with your doctor regarding scarring and minimizing the scar.  In many cases there isn't much you can do after the surgery.  Vitamins or creams will not likely reduce the size or width of the scar.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Healing of a FUT incision

The most important factor determining scar quality in strip procedures is surgical technique.
The patient has no control over the surgical technique, so there isn't much the patient can do to make it better and the faith of the scar is already decided.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

FUT Scar

Minimizing scar in donor area is dependent on the skill and technique of the hair transplant surgeon. Careful extraction of donor area and maintaining the functional integrity of the donor area is paramount in minimizing the donor scar. Unfortunately, I repair many scars from procedures that were not performed well.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Healing after FUT #hairtransplant

The best method for closure is trichophytic closure. If done by a skilled doctor and there is minimal tension, the chances of scarring is very low, unless you are prone to scar formation. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

To minimize FUT scar

Actually there is nothing to do for enhance scar or fasten the healing process. Your doctor technique and advices are good enough to have minimal scaring .your healing characteristics will determine ultimate result  that we can not change or redirect this procedure..

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Optimising Strip FUT donor scars

The quality of the scar from a Strip FUT donor harvest is primarily the result of the surgeon's skill.
The wound closure should not be under excessive tension, the skin edges should be exactly approximated and there should be no hairs in the wound.
The wound closure method will influence the outcome but a secondary determinant of scar quality is the patient's individual healing characteristics.
Your hair transplant surgeon should have given you post op instructions for wound care and be available to answer questions about scar management if you are not happy.
You should follow their advice.

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon