What can I do to get rid the "double chin" I get when I smile? I think my chin is too small, how can I change this? (Photos)

I get a double chin quite easily from slightly moving my head down to smiling. I am 5'7" and 120lbs so I don't think it's fat, but I could be wrong. What surgery or non surgical procedure can I do to fix this?

Multiple Option for Correcting Your Double Chin

Hello and thank-you for sharing your question and photos.

Based on the photos you have provided, I would suggest chin augmentation and liposuction. Chin augmentation liposuction of the chin and neck produces consistently good results for appropriate candidates. If the appearance of you chin on profile view does not concern you, you may consider addressing only the fullness due to fat in the submental area. We are very excited with the development of several non-invasive techniques for correction of a double chin. We offer the Cool mini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate. Generally, two treatments are required separated by 4-6 weeks.  We also offer Kybella which is another non-surgical alternative to liposuction. Generally 3-6 treatments are needed separated by 4-6 weeks.   

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn about your options..

Best regards.

Double Chin

There are several options for a "double chin"
First:  Consider the jawbone itself.  Is the mandible projecting out properly?  If no, a chin implant or moving the bone forward (genioplasty) could be an option.  
If there is fat in the upper neck, options include Kybella to dissolve the fat, liposuction, or a direct fat excision.  
A platysmaplasty to tighten the muscle layer might also be indicated.  Occasionally, I will find a small amount of fat below the platysma that can be removed to give the neck a better contour.  
A plastic surgeon can evaluate your particular anatomy and discuss these options with you. I suspect that you would make for a good surgical candidate.  
Good luck!

Getting rid of the double chin.

A double chin can be due to excess fat in the chin area, early jowling in the area, and a small chin. Liposuction and a chin implant can improve the neck line. Alternatively, Kybella injections can help improve the neck fullness. Kybella is a non surgical option for patients with submental fullness. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do to get rid of the double chin?

A full set of photographs are required of the face to determine what may be required for 1-2 surgical procedures.  When patients have a weak and recessive chin profile, a  chin implant is placed to augment the chin forward to help with facial balance, proportions, and improve the jawline.  When patients have excess fatty deposits in the neck, liposuction is performed to improve that area.  For more information  and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below 

Get rid the "double chin" I get when I smile? I think my chin is too small, how can I change this?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is a slight amount of fat (double chin).  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery with liposuction under the chin.

Hope this helps.

Sub-mental fullness

It appears that you have some fullness under your chin, but it is not bad at all.  Easy fix is just keep your chin up when you smile and take photos.  It will save you some money too. :)  But from a surgical perspective, there are several good treatments for sub-mental fat fullness.  I personally use in office liposuction, coolsculpting, or INFINI in my practice, although there are other modalities as well.  The results are near permanent when it comes to the fat removal.  Best to have a consult with a plastic surgeon as there is nothing like an in person hands on consult.

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon

How best to fix a double chin?

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately from the photos with the top of your head cut off its hard to tell the exact proportions of your face.It looks like you may have several options.  I would recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who offers both invasive and non-invasive treatments for your neck so that you can decide which is right for you.You might also be interested in a blog post I did several months ago linked below.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Its normal

Everybody gets a little fatty pad when they look down. The key is the effect is exaggerated in people with early lower face ageing and a short chin,You have a slightly short chin and so it is a little more noticeable. I find a good technique is to liposuck the under jaw area and if there is enough fat, inject this into the tip of the chin to augment the projection. Two birds with the same stone. Otherwise, there are a range of semi permanent fillers that can augment your chin profile. I like sculptra but ask your local plastic surgeon what they prefer. Hope that helps. Adam Goodwin

Double chin treatment

Hello and thank you for your question. An evaluation in person is the best way to determine what you may need. Based on the photos you have submitted I would start with kybella to treat the fullness under the chin. If you have loose skin that may need to be tightened then thermi might be a good compliment. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I find that VASER/ThermiRF combination are best for contouring in those who are candidates but Kybella can be used as an alternative. Get a formal consultation to determine what is best.  Best, Dr. Emer.