Post-op day-8 caring for toddlers after Breast Augmentation. Any suggestions?

I have a 2yr (21lbs) and a 4yr (30lbs) that are very active and rambunctious im afraid their heads or fast movements in their arms (when throwing tantrums) will cause damage or problems in my Implants or breast recovery. Also hugs my kids love hugs and after having my procedure I haven't been able to hug them due to tenderness when can I hug them, or not fear their arms or heads hitting my implants

Help with the kids

It would be best to have some family help to lessen what you need to do with the children in the first week but obviously this may not be practical - as long as you are using your support bra and not picking them up in the first week they cannot really do much harm 

Caring for children after BBA

Thank you for being proactive with your question!

Please do ask your surgeon on what they recommend with regards to caring for your children.

Recovery should not be rushed nor underestimated and taking good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best is essential. As a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and their instructions should take precedence over everything you read here.

Since you have small children, it would be great to have your spouse, friends or neighbors to help you out as much as possible. Indeed, you'll find it difficult to lift them up and carry them, not to mention feel very tired to look after them. And you should not chase them around as you may accidently move your arms too much in the process during the running motion.

With regards to holding them, you should be able to bend over, grab your child, hold them close to your chest, and then stand back up. So yes, you can hug your children lightly as long as you don’t put pressure on your breasts. This way, you’re not using your chest muscles as much, but rather your back muscles to lift the weight. This is the most important advice I can give you: Try to avoid your chest muscles for at least 2-3 weeks (do not lift more than 10 pounds for 2-3 weeks).

You can engage in greater use of your chest muscles after 6 weeks (i.e., vigorous exercising, push-ups, weight-lifting).

Since your children like hugs, you can get around that. For example, if your child is crying and wants to be held, you can squat down and hug them, or you can sit on the sofa or in a chair and have them climb up into your lap so that you can hold them. Ask your children to be gentle when they hug you. They can be quite receptive and helpful if politely asked.

You will definitely need help with regards to getting your children into and out of the car seat, highchair, or crib.

You will feel better with each passing day. Since you are already one week post-op, you should feel much better. You will still be sore, but you will be feeling more like yourself.

Increasing the activity level is dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts or incisions, then stop the activity.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Caring for toddlers after breast augmentation

It's always best to check with your surgeon's protocol. I advise my patients they may pick up their children on the third day after surgery to transfer them to high chairs, car seats,cribs, etc. My patients are told to take it easy for a week and not chase their children around the house. If they are comfortable, they can carry their children for prolonged periods of time by the end of the second week. There should be no issues dealing with children in the usual fashion from the 21st day on. Hope this information is helpful. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

It is unlikely that the movements from the children will cause anything other than discomfort for you.  Children are surprisingly aware of when adults are injured.  If you explain that you want to hug them but only can do it by snuggling from the side I think you'll find they are happy to comply, and even help you out.  You will continue to improve daily.  Continue to follow your surgeon's advice for optimum results.

Camille Cash, MD

Limitations after augmentation

What I will tell you is that it would take a great deal of force to actually affect the surgical result.  Yes, you're still very close to surgery, but your surgeon has created a pocket for the implant which usually would require quite a hit to actually move the implant tearing along new planes.  As well, the stitches can withhold a good deal of force.  Bottom-line is, the force of a careful hug or an accidental arm flail is very unlikely to cause any significant damage.  Continue to be careful, keeping contact with your surgeon, and enjoy your result!

Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon