2 weeks post BA. Is my incision open and what should I do? (photos)

2 weeks post BA tomorrow. My left breast has always been more sore than the right and has yet to drop. I peeled off the surgical glue tonight on my left breast incision as it was coming off. It seems as though my incision is open. Does this look open and/or infected. Should I be concerned?

Incision issues

The photo does not suggest anything is open - maintain some surgical tape along the incision for 4-6 weeks to support it -use micropore or Hypafix/Mefix 

Question of Incision Post-Op

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. 

Revision of #breast implant and lift #cosmeticsurgery may be needed for: asymmetry, continued ptosis, implant malposition as well as all of the other reasons needed for breast implant revision surgery. Be sure to check with your surgeon in person as to whether or not healing is progressing well and if a revision will be needed in the end.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

ITs early to talk about results.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Red Scar

This incision looks a little reddened but not open or infected. Are you prone to hypertrophic/raised scarring? I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to examine you in person and ensure that you are on track. They can also provide instructions for scar care to help minimize the appearance. 

All the best 

Breast incision looks OK.

Your photo appears to show an incision which is healing and not infected.  Your surgeon is in the best position to examine you and reassure you that things are fine.  Follow up with your surgeon to settle this issue for you.

Breast Incision

Your breast incision does not look open or infected in any way.  Since you are worried about it, contact your surgeon so your surgeon or his/her assistant can inspect it in person so you can feel reassured and relieve your concerns.

All the best for a rapid and safe recovery!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op

Thank you for your question.  I recommend seeing the surgeon who did your Breast Augmentation for an evaluation of your incision site.  I always tell my patients not to peel of any of the surgical glue, as the wound heals it will flake off on its own.   2 weeks is still very early in the recovery process to judge where the implant will settle and its normal for them to be different at this point. Follow up with your surgeon and follow all his/her instructions.  Best of luck!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon