Kybella removes 10 to 15% of submental fat? Is that the amount per round of shots (2 vials)?

A doctor replied to a question on RS. In his answer he said that "Kybella removes 10 to 15% of fat". Is that per 2 vials of Kybella? Or after you have completed a series of Kybella, you will have lost 10 to 15% of the fat underneath your chin?

Fat removal with Kybella

I don't agree with the statement of Kybella removing "10-15%" of fat.  I have hear that "coolsculpting removes 24% of fat" but no similar statements in any of the studies done with Kybella.  A better way to think of it is that in the studies patients did up to 6 treatments to achieve the results that they wanted. I am finding in my practice that most patients are doing 2-4 treatments.  We have found with Kybella that most patients prefer more vials and fewer treatments.  Early on we might have started with 2 vials but we are more likely to start with 3 vials with the first treatment and even increase to 4 or 5 vials with a subsequent treatment.  Kybella allows us to tailor the treatment to the shape of the fat pad.  We are also seeing some tightening of the skin as well.  And the fat removal persists at 4 years in the studies and is considered "permanent".   

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  There is no standard percentage of fat loss with any treatment of Kybella, but because treatment is a series of injection sessions I would focus more on the results you obtain after each to know whether you would like additional work. Best wishes. 

Improvement after Kybella

Kybella is a great medication for reducing submental fat without surgery. The amount of fat reduction is subjective. It will have an improvement in almost everyone, but the degree is difficult to measure. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Question

Hello and thank you for posting your great question regarding Kybella! Kybella is a great injectable used to treat submental fat, commonly known as the double chin. It is nearly impossible to determine the amount of that that can be removed with each treatment, just because each person is unique. Despite that, Kybella has been clinically shown to yield great results. Most commonly, people need 1-2 treatments with 1-2 vials at each treatment based on individual needs and aesthetic goals. Best, Justin Harper, MD. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Kybella and Submental Fat

Kybella treats submental fat under the chin.  There is a different amount of Kybella needed for various patients depending on the size of the fat in their necks.  A formal consultation is needed to evaluate the area.  Two to four treatments of Kybella are needed to have permanent fat reduction.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

The amount of fat that Kybella removes is highly variable from patient to patient

Kybella is a wonderful new treatment for unwanted chin fat, but it is very dependent on the amount of fat that is there to begin what type of chin you have.  If you have a very large amount of fat then Kybella probably isn't best for you, but if you have a moderate amount of fat, Kybella will do very well when used as recommended (4-5 treatments).  

It won't remove 10-15% per treatment, though and it does need to have the full treatment package done to succeed.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello Anon20000,

The actual amount of fat removed with each session of Kybella is variable.  In some patients with a small amount of fat in the double chin, a single treatment may remove all of the excess fat (so closer to 100%).  In someone with a very heavy neck and a large amount of fat, it may take multiple treatments with 3 to 4 vials to reach a satisfactory result.  What I would recommend is you consult with a core aesthetic physician injector (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist) to evaluate you and provide a better estimate of how many vials and number of treatments will be required to reach your goal.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect from Kybella injections

Kybella is an injectable medication that essentially destroys fat cells.  Each patient will respond differently to this treatment.  Though I can't give you a precise percentage, I can tell you that most patients will receive 2 or 3 injections total to get the desired result.  After the first injection, you'll notice cosmetic improvement in the treated area in about 4 weeks, and the effects are very long-lasting.  The vast majority of patients who get Kybella are happy with the treatment.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Planning Kybella treatments

Thanks for your question. I think it is not helpful to think of Kybella's effect in terms of percentages. In the studies done to bring it to "market", 5 sessions were done. In reality, we usually see great results in 2 or 3 sessions. The number of vials used per session is determined by the anatomic size of the area to be treated. It is often 2 to 3 vials (2 ml each) unless the fat pad is VERY small. A lot of times by the final session we are using fewer vials because there is just not as much fat anymore, so a smaller treatment area. This can really add up as the vials are expensive, so some say why not just go for submental liposuction at the same cost- but the advantage of doing it with Kybella is no scars, much less risk, no chin strap to wear, less downtime...

Kybella causes permanent fat cell destruction so once it is gone it is gone, you cannot "grow" new fat cells. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

How much fat can Kybella remove??

Hello Anon20000,

And thank you for your question on Kybella.  It's nearly impossible to determine in advance the % of fat that Kybella will remove and how many treatments it will take to get your best outcome.  Here's why:

A person with a small amount of submental fat may gain a full result with 1 treatment using 2 vials of Kybella and in some cases, may not need additional treatments.  I have seen this in my practice.

A person with large amount of fat in this area may need multiple treatments to achieve a satisfying result.  In this case, the final results that I have seen have been greater than 10-15% fat reduction BUT, after multiple treatments.  

And then you have to add in the unpredictable issue in which not every person will respond to Kybella the same way.

With all that said, the only way to get an answer on how Kybella will work for you is to get into see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation.  It's fair to assume that the more submental fat you have, the more treatments you will need.

Thank you.

In good health, 

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon