Kybella removes 10 to 15% of submental fat? Is that the amount per round of shots (2 vials)?

A doctor replied to a question on RS. In his answer he said that "Kybella removes 10 to 15% of fat". Is that per 2 vials of Kybella? Or after you have completed a series of Kybella, you will have lost 10 to 15% of the fat underneath your chin?

Kybella is permanent but works differently in different people

Its hard to make a one shot statement that kybella will remove 20% of fat for example. It will react differently in different people. Some people get better results than others. Results in all are permanent. Who will respond best is hard to predict but if the patient is selected well (actually has submental fat and not just loose skin or poor bony support, not a weak chin, etc)- the results will be great. This is why going to the right doctor is important. Facial bony Anatomy needs to be part of the evaluation. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella results

Thank you for your question anon20000. Kybella is the first and thus-far only FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. I never guarantee results in terms of percentages. Instead I provide before and after photographs. If patients would be happy with the results in the before and after photographs then they would be a good candidate. I recommend that my patients start with at least 2 Kybella treatments and assess results from there.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Kybella results

Fat removal with Kybella

I don't agree with the statement of Kybella removing "10-15%" of fat.  I have hear that "coolsculpting removes 24% of fat" but no similar statements in any of the studies done with Kybella.  A better way to think of it is that in the studies patients did up to 6 treatments to achieve the results that they wanted. I am finding in my practice that most patients are doing 2-4 treatments.  We have found with Kybella that most patients prefer more vials and fewer treatments.  Early on we might have started with 2 vials but we are more likely to start with 3 vials with the first treatment and even increase to 4 or 5 vials with a subsequent treatment.  Kybella allows us to tailor the treatment to the shape of the fat pad.  We are also seeing some tightening of the skin as well.  And the fat removal persists at 4 years in the studies and is considered "permanent".   

Fat removal with Kybella

Kybella results

It is impossible to predict your Kybella results or the number of vials needed without seeing you in person. The number of vials is going to depend on the amount of fat that needs to be removed. Typically, it's going to take between 2-4 sessions. However, that does not mean that the same number of vials will be needed for each session. As your fat subsides, you need less product to get the job done. The good news with Kybella is that the results are permanent. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kybella results

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  There is no standard percentage of fat loss with any treatment of Kybella, but because treatment is a series of injection sessions I would focus more on the results you obtain after each to know whether you would like additional work. Best wishes. 

Improvement after Kybella

Kybella is a great medication for reducing submental fat without surgery. The amount of fat reduction is subjective. It will have an improvement in almost everyone, but the degree is difficult to measure. 

Improvement after Kybella

Kybella Question

Hello and thank you for posting your great question regarding Kybella! Kybella is a great injectable used to treat submental fat, commonly known as the double chin. It is nearly impossible to determine the amount of that that can be removed with each treatment, just because each person is unique. Despite that, Kybella has been clinically shown to yield great results. Most commonly, people need 1-2 treatments with 1-2 vials at each treatment based on individual needs and aesthetic goals. Best, Justin Harper, MD. 

Kybella Question

Kybella and Submental Fat

Kybella treats submental fat under the chin.  There is a different amount of Kybella needed for various patients depending on the size of the fat in their necks.  A formal consultation is needed to evaluate the area.  Two to four treatments of Kybella are needed to have permanent fat reduction.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella and Submental Fat

The amount of fat that Kybella removes is highly variable from patient to patient

Kybella is a wonderful new treatment for unwanted chin fat, but it is very dependent on the amount of fat that is there to begin what type of chin you have.  If you have a very large amount of fat then Kybella probably isn't best for you, but if you have a moderate amount of fat, Kybella will do very well when used as recommended (4-5 treatments).  

It won't remove 10-15% per treatment, though and it does need to have the full treatment package done to succeed.  Good luck!

Hello Anon20000,

The actual amount of fat removed with each session of Kybella is variable.  In some patients with a small amount of fat in the double chin, a single treatment may remove all of the excess fat (so closer to 100%).  In someone with a very heavy neck and a large amount of fat, it may take multiple treatments with 3 to 4 vials to reach a satisfactory result.  What I would recommend is you consult with a core aesthetic physician injector (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist) to evaluate you and provide a better estimate of how many vials and number of treatments will be required to reach your goal.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

Hello Anon20000,

I hope this helps and good luck.