How effective is the PicoSure laser on wrinkles?

I see a lot of information about PicoSure laser treatments for tattoos. I'm looking specifically for doctors reviews on its efficacy in reducing wrinkles and general pigmentation since it's recent approval for these uses. Also, how many treatments should one expect to need and what are the general costs and specific procedures taken on the face?

PicoSure for wrinkles

I will start this off by saying that because of the mild, superficial, heat-related damage to skin that is possible with the PicoSure laser, it may a good device to use for wrinkles, but only as part of a combination with other devices. It is unlikely to significantly improve wrinkles on its own. As far as general pigmentation, it works in exactly the same manner as it does on tattoo pigment; which is to say that it works well.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Wrinkles - PICO not the best

The best treatment for skin rejuvenation and prevention depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, and overall health. I recommend  a healthy lifestyle: a diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and fish; eight to ten hours of sleep nightly; limiting alcohol intake other than the occasional glass of red wine; and regular exercise. An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. When it comes to rejuvenating and prevention treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (skin care products including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), neurotoxins (Botox®, Xeomin®), dermal fillers (Restylane®, Juvederm®, Esthelis®, Belotero®, Emervel®, Radiesse®), skin resurfacing procedures (advanced laser resurfacing or OBAGI® controlled depth chemical peel) and other devices such as Ultherapy® can be used.  These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Picosure for wrinkles

I personally do not use the PicoSure laser for wrinkles, as there are other lasers that have shown superior results in wrinkle reduction after a single treatment that have a longer track record of safety and efficacy for this indication.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fine wrinkles and Picosure ?

Picosure is best reserved for age spots and tattoo laser removal.

Fine wrinkles around the eyes, under the yes, on the lips can be treated with many other technologies that are better suited.

Ultherapy high intensity focused ultrasound (1.5 mm) can be used for fine wrinkels around the eyes and lips.

Fractional lasers are also good for fine wrinkles and rejuvenation of the face. 

Thank you for this question. The PicoSure laser is the best treatment available for tattoo removal, but it is also an amazing treatment for skin revitalization. The "focus " hand-piece with the Picosure can very effectively remove brown spots from aging, sun damage, and freckles. It also smooths the texture, improving acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles as well as tighten. The best thing is there's no downtime. It usually requires 4 treatments to get the results. Costs vary on location from about $1200-$2000 for the 4 treatments.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon