How effective is the PicoSure laser on wrinkles?

I see a lot of information about PicoSure laser treatments for tattoos. I'm looking specifically for doctors reviews on its efficacy in reducing wrinkles and general pigmentation since it's recent approval for these uses. Also, how many treatments should one expect to need and what are the general costs and specific procedures taken on the face?

PicoSure for wrinkles

I will start this off by saying that because of the mild, superficial, heat-related damage to skin that is possible with the PicoSure laser, it may a good device to use for wrinkles, but only as part of a combination with other devices. It is unlikely to significantly improve wrinkles on its own. As far as general pigmentation, it works in exactly the same manner as it does on tattoo pigment; which is to say that it works well.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Fine wrinkles and Picosure ?

Picosure is best reserved for age spots and tattoo laser removal.

Fine wrinkles around the eyes, under the yes, on the lips can be treated with many other technologies that are better suited.

Ultherapy high intensity focused ultrasound (1.5 mm) can be used for fine wrinkels around the eyes and lips.

Fractional lasers are also good for fine wrinkles and rejuvenation of the face. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

PicoSure focus lens array for skin texture improvement and wrinkle treatment

PicoSure has a focus lens array that changes it from a tattoo removal laser to a gentle tone and texture improvement laser. In no way does it diminish wrinkles that are deep set but can help soften some fine lines, and help even tone.

The PicoSure laser can stimulate collagen formation in the dermis but this is a long process, as with many non invasive procedures, the collagen production continues for up to a year or more after the procedure and it takes time to see a clinical effect once the collagen forms in the dermis underneath the epidermis (top layer) of the skin.

In my NYC practice I perform 5 to 6 biweekly treatments with the PicoSure focus lens array treatment. It is a very tolerable treatment and some numbing cream applied before the treatment makes it even more tolerable. There is minimal to no downtime as most people only have some light redness for a few hours or less after the treatment and without any wound being formed, makeup can be applied immediately after the procedure. 

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. 

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

PicoSure Focus Skin Rejuvenation for Wrinkles

Hi, thank you for your question.  I apologize for a broad answer because more information is needed in order to give a more detailed answer. I would need to know and see how deep the wrinkles are, their location, see your skin quality, see if there is laxity, pigmentation, etc. There are variety of different treatments available for wrinkles and PicoSure Focus Lens array is definitely one of the top if not top skin rejuvenation treatment.  I offer a variety of different treatments for  wrinkles, including Ultherapy enhanced protocol with 1.5 mm transducer, 1540 Fractional laser, Microneedling, and of course Botox and Dysport. To see which treatment is best for you, it is best to seek an expert consultation and have a treatment customized.  It is very common to combine different therapies for even better results.  Hope this helps,  Best.Dr.Avaliani

Anna Avaliani, MD
New York Physician

Great if you have ethnic skin type

This is one of the best laser for mild to moderate wrinkles only in darker skin types, this is because the target is melanin or pigment. You may require 2-3 sessions but to date, this remains as the only laser to give no downtime skin rejuvenating in Asia, Ethnic and Darker skin races. For lighter skin types, other lasers such as Fraxel, micro needling PRP etc... are better. More on the Picosure laser for skin rejuvenation in the web reference below. Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Wrinkles - PICO not the best

The best treatment for skin rejuvenation and prevention depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, and overall health. I recommend  a healthy lifestyle: a diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and fish; eight to ten hours of sleep nightly; limiting alcohol intake other than the occasional glass of red wine; and regular exercise. An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. When it comes to rejuvenating and prevention treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (skin care products including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), neurotoxins (Botox®, Xeomin®), dermal fillers (Restylane®, Juvederm®, Esthelis®, Belotero®, Emervel®, Radiesse®), skin resurfacing procedures (advanced laser resurfacing or OBAGI® controlled depth chemical peel) and other devices such as Ultherapy® can be used.  These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Picosure for wrinkles

I personally do not use the PicoSure laser for wrinkles, as there are other lasers that have shown superior results in wrinkle reduction after a single treatment that have a longer track record of safety and efficacy for this indication.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for this question. The PicoSure laser is the best treatment available for tattoo removal, but it is also an amazing treatment for skin revitalization. The "focus " hand-piece with the Picosure can very effectively remove brown spots from aging, sun damage, and freckles. It also smooths the texture, improving acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles as well as tighten. The best thing is there's no downtime. It usually requires 4 treatments to get the results. Costs vary on location from about $1200-$2000 for the 4 treatments.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon