Dermapen treatment 2mm needle: Can this needle depth cause further scarring?

Just had a dermapen treament for acne scarring Pen was set to 2mm This treatment was aggressive. Can this cause further scarring?

Anything is possible but for acne scarring this should be ok. I definitely would not treat more aggresive that that setting. Good Luck!

​Micro-needling with a 2 millimeter dermatend and can it cause scarring...

Micro-needling with a 2 millimeter dermatend and can it cause scarring... Definitely it can. I just recently treated someone who had scars that were from micro-needling. She has these little bumps and scars that she didn't have before. So I treated this for her and she's doing much better and she's really happy with the results. So be very careful of micro needling you can definitely get scars and it doesn't necessarily improve your scars that you already have in my experience. We have a 5-7 step process that treats all types of acne scars in about 2hours with just one treatment!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medical Microneedling For Acne Scars Usually Employs 1.5mm-2mm Long Needles

I have been performing medical microneedling using manual rollers for about fifteen years and Dermapen for about 8 years. Although different areas of the face may require differing needle lengths, the usual range for treating atrophic (indented, depressed) acne scars is between 1.5mm and 2mm. So, I really don't think there should be any problem here. That having been said, I would like to reiterate a point I have made in many of my answers on RealSelf that microneedling is best reserved for treating tone and texture problems that remain after other methods, such as subcision lifting, with or without the addition of fillers, for example, have been used to elevate the depressions. By itself, microneedling, whether manual or automatic, is not the best approach to treating any, but the most shallow acne scars. Be sure you are being treated by a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in all forms of scar treatments. Best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Knowing What's Normal--Acne Scars Treatment with Dermapen

This is a normal depth and shouldn't cause additional scarring. Acne scars require a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers to get improvement. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with an acne scarring expert. Best, Dr. Emer 

Dermapen cause scarring

I haven't seen this nor have I heard any mention on Realself about scarring after Dermapen. I wouldn't worry about this. 2 mm is a deep dermal depth and shouldn't lead to scarring.

Steven F. Weiner, MD