Have my fat cells died because all the pressure by sitting and sleeping on my back? surgery done Saturday April 30th at 7 pm

Today is May 3rd, At this point after reading not to sit and not to sleep on my back I felt all my money was a waste. I got a BBL on April 30th, around 7 pm. On that night i slept on my back next day (Sunday)drove 3 hours back home. next day Monday sat for at least 10 hours at my office. They only inject 450 cc in both butt. (225 cc on each butt)

Post BBL

Thanks for your inquiry.  225 cc’s is a modest injection amount of fat, but there should be a difference in the shape.  The best way to see your results is by comparing your pre and postoperative pictures.  It definitely helps not to sit on the surgical area following fat grafting because that can increase the chances of fat atrophy.  I would follow up with your surgeon regarding any concerns you might have regarding your final result. 

Post op BBL

Hi and thanks for the question. It is impossible without examining you and seeing preop photos to accurately tell if you have lost any signinifcant amount of fat. I allow patients to sit briefly on a memory foam pillow after surgery and sleep on stomach or sides. I recommend addressing this with your surgeon. Best of Luck- Dr Hardy

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

The loss of fat cells

It's not possible to say with any level of accuracy what the impact was from you sitting on the treated area.

While most plastic surgeons recommend patients don't sit on the area treated or sleep on their back there is no good scientific evidence stating what the impact of this is.

The volumes you describe sound very conservative.

If I was to make a guess based on very limited information I would say The relatively small volume of grafted fat may be the primary reason for not seeing substantial long term enhancements.

My practice is devoted entirely to body contouring using various forms of liposuction and fat transfer.

In our practice the average Brazilian butt lift requires around 2000 mL of fat.

There are however cases where much less fat is transferred for various reasons.

Follow up with your plastic surgeon and I have him or her address your concerns.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Fat cells dead after putting pressure?

Thank you for your question. When getting a BBL, the fat cells are transferred in microinjections throughout multiple planes in the buttock tissue so that they can gain new blood supply and live in their new home, providing increased volume and shape to the buttocks. Postoperatively, no specific position is indicated and we do not have any sitting restrictions. The pressure caused by sitting is not sufficient to affect viability of the fat cells and so the postsurgical position depends basically on comfort and any other operations that have been performed
You are likely seeing changes as a result of decreasing swelling. After surgery there is a predictable swelling process that mostly resolves over two months, when the final result really settles in.

Pressure on buttocks

We recommend no pressure for 3 weeks. When sleeping it is best to lay on your stomach and we also encourage the use of a BBL pillow when you are sitting. If you dont follow this protocol, there is potential for damage to the fat cells. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Is my fat dead?

Likely a significant portion of your fat has died/not taken due to the pressure.  One of the most important aspects of these cases if offloading pressure for at least the first week to allow vessels to grow around the fat that was transferred much like a skin graft has to 'take' after being applied to a burn victim.  Pressure during this early time frame can affect the results especially the amount that you are describing.  Best wishes and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD