Deciding between permalip or dermal fat grafting for lip augmentation

Which would provide me with the most drastic and most permanent lip augmentation? I worry that the 5mm permalip implant will not provide drastic enough augmentation/fullness. I worry with dermal fat grafting that so much of it will be reabsorbed. I'm conflicted which procedure to go with. Is there a reason I should choose one over the other? Is there a certain technique a doctor should preform so the fat graft takes? I did read about dermal fat grafting with fascia taking from the pubic area.

Permalip or dermal fat grafting for lip augmentation

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.  Fascia from the pubic area won't last and can allow pubic hairs to grow out of the lips which happened to a model that consulted with me after having that procedure done with another plastic surgeon.  In my opinion, fat injections and fascia grafts should be avoided as they simply can not provide accurate, reliable, consistent levels of augmentation to the lips, cheeks, chin or jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Lip enlargement

The Permalip implant is the more permanent and predictable choice. If your lips are so small that the largest implant won't work, it is unlikely any method will give the result you want unless you want an abnomal large looking result. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting may work well for you, but it is not a one-shot deal.

The main difference between a lip implant versus some sort of graft is how many times are you willing to undergo the procedure? With a lip implant, it is one and done. However, if that is not the end result you were looking for, you will still need to do more procedures. It is not wise to put more than one lip implant in at a time. Someday, they will probably start making larger implant.  It is possible to make a nice, full lip with either fat alone or fascia. However, a large percentage of it will be absorbed in the lip. I have many patients with full, beautiful lips that are made from fat, but they have had at least a dozen procedures performed. My patients have been very happy with the lip implant, but most are looking for a modest improvement. 

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon