RF ultrasound treatment post Lipo. Did I just get ripped off or is this a necessary treatment?

I am three weeks post abdominal liposuction. My doctor now informs me that I will need two therapeutic ultrasound treatments per week for the next eight weeks to achieve optimal results. At an additional price of $400 dollars. Did I just get ripped off or is this a necessary treatment?

RF or Ultrasound After Liposuction

i believe this is essential for healing after liposuction, i have all my patients get hyperbaric oxygen, lymphatic massage, and RF skin tightening.  we include the RF treatments post liposuction in the cost of the procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Ultrasound after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction recovery.

• It is a little upsetting to have surgery and be told you need to pay more for a good result.
  • Ultrasound is not necessary after liposuction.
  • It does heat the tissues under the skin - a little heat does little and a lot of heat may damage the tissues.
  • But massage does feel good and some of my patients believe it truly speeds up healing.
  • A patient recently told me of buying a $15 massager on-line and said it seems to help her swelling a lot.
  • You can either rely on your surgeon's advice and go ahead with her/his recommendation or cancel the treatments and just try massage.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

No proven benefit of radiofrequency treatments after liposuction.

All electromagnetic treatments including radiofrequency do one thing-warm-up the tissues. There's no evidence that it does any good. Aggressive treatment might actually do harm.

Ultrasound after tummy tuck

I have found both ultrasound and acoustic sound wave therapy both very therapeutic in addressing the venous congestion and persistent swelling that is sometimes seen after tummy tuck. Having said that, I cannot comment on what the costs are as all patients do not need this so in our practice it is also an add on volitional procedure. We usually do it at a nominal cost so as to have the patient be able to have a speedy recovery without undue financial strain.  Each practice is going to have their own financial standards and this probably varies by which part of the country you live in.Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS