Is it same to take ibuprofen immediately after botox injections if you develop a headache?

Ibuprofen After Botox

Thank you for sharing your question. After any type of injection, I recommend avoiding blood thinning medications such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Naproxen, etc., for 24 hours post procedure. While taking Ibuprofen is technically safe, you run the risk of developing a delayed bruise and/or increasing swelling in the treated areas. As an alternative, try taking Tylenol to treat your headache in the meantime. Best of luck

Safety of painkillers post botox

Hello Cinzia1.

Yes it is safe after the treatment is done.  Preferably don't take it for a few days before though, although in practice bruising is unlikely to be affected, in theory it could make your blood a little thinner and therefore bruse easier.  Stick to paracetamol for your headache, with or without codeine if needed.  Its a safer bet.

Hope this helps.

Michael Yunaev, MBBS, MS
Sydney General Surgeon

Is It Safe To Take Ibuprofen Immediately After Botox Injections If You Develop A Headache?

Thank you for your excellent question.  I recommend that my patients avoid NSAIDS such as ibuprofen for one week prior to and for 24 hours after injectable treatments in order to minimize the risk for bruising.  Tylenol is ok to take at any time before or after treatment.  Enjoy your Botox!  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Ibuprofen after Botox.

This is fine to do. There is a slight bruising risk with taking this before the treatment. You should hold off of this for 3 days prior to getting injected. Afterwards, if you don't have a bruise, you can take it.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Treating headaches after Botox

Thank you for your question cinzia. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. A possible side effect of Botox is temporary headaches. For my patients I recommend taking Tylenol to address headaches as aspirin and ibuprofen may lead to bruising. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Ibuprofin after Botox

There should be no problem taking this but if you have a tendency to bruise you might opt for Tylenol instead

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist