When can I do bootcamp and yoga after a breast lift and BA? Are burpees OK to do? Can I plank? Should I wear 2 sport bras?

First off I would like to thank all the doctors for their amazing responses to all the patients concerns . It really helps put my nerves at ease. I am 3 weeks post surgery and healing great . II started walking on the treadmill on an incline at the gym but I want to do more . Before surgery I was working out intense and did a lot of jumping and weights. I know my doctor said no push ups , bench press, or any chest exercise but I forgot to ask about planks.

Exercise after a breast augmentation

Light activities are okay for the first 2 - 4 weeks and vigourous activities between week 6 and 8.  Use your judgement about what exercises are appropriate and ask your plastic surgeon for his recommendations.  

Know your priorities and muscle groups deployed with yoga and bootcamp

Fellow yogi, I do understand your desire to resume your practice, however treat your body with compassion and all will be well.  Poses which require massive excursion of the pectoralis major muscles like chaturanga (yoga push-ups), upward wheel, camel pose, drop downs, hand stands, scorpion pose are not appropriate for at least 4-8 weeks.  Dolphin plank, side plank, which utilize also latissimus dorsi and obliques may be modified, however these are in the purest form, also chest exercises.  Discuss your desires with your PS and realize that not only are the chest muscles conforming to a new volume but the mastopexy sutures also must be protected from unscheduled tension, which could stretch the scars. Namaste!

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi Possibility,
If you ask ten PS the same question, you will get ten answers!  We do this procedure frequently, and have for almost 30 years.  I believe things are healed up at three weeks, so if my patients have normal healing at that point, I tell them they can "Let it rip".  So keep your surgeon in the loop, and be a good soldier and follow his/her orders to the letter, regardless of what you read on line. All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Boot camp and breast augmentation

I tell patients to wait about 6-8 weeks before doing vigorous activity but that is an average. Best to ask your surgeon directly.

Intense exercise after augmentation mastopexy

Thank you for your question.  I would say wait at least 3-4 wks after surgery.  Then because your definition of exercise is different and more intense than others, I would advise you to use your body as a guide after that.  Ie. if it hurts, lay off that specific exercise for a while, if not, then continue to push it.  

John D. Symbas, MD

Boot Camp, yoga and planks after breast augmentation and lift

Congratulations on your breast augmentation and lift! It is crucial that you ask your plastic surgeon  when you may start doing vigorous upper body exercises which require that involve contraction of the chest muscles and use of the proximal upper arm.  Only your plastic surgeon who is intimately for Mayor with what was done can properly answer your question.

That said in my practice  I encouraged patients to wait 6 weeks before vigorous upper body work outs.

Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation and Exercise

Recovery times following breast augmentation and breast lift surgery vary from patient to patient. These times are significantly impacted by the nature of the procedure, the patient's employment and the patient's social situation. It's important to realize that even though these procedures are for cosmetic purposes, they do have risks and the potential for complications. For this reason, premature return to normal activity can result in an increased incidence of complications.

We generally recommend light activity for the first week following the procedure. After one week, patients are allowed to gradually resume normal non-strenuous activities. Strenuous activities and heavy lifting aren't allowed for at least 6 to 8 weeks in most cases. Bootcamp, burpees and planks would probably fall into this category. It's important to go slowly at first and listen to your body. At eight weeks, most patients are able to resume all of their normal activities.

It's important to remember that every patient is unique. The specifics of their employment, exercise routine and surgical procedure will have a significant impact upon their recovery. Make sure you discuss this issue with your surgeon. Your surgeon's insights regarding your procedure will provide important information regarding when you can resume your exercise routine. Your breast procedure represents a significant investment. The best way to protect that investment is to follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions.

Breast lift

As you will see, you will get a range of responses and best to ask your surgeon this specific questions.  For my practice, I tell patients to wait 6 weeks before starting strenous upper body exercises. Good luck on the rest of your recover.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon