I'm scheduled for BA and lift. Will 700cc implants give me a 38DD size?

I'm sch for BA & lift Aug 5 and my left breast is bigger than my right with left being a 38B & right 38 full A small B..I have tried on 700cc and like the way they look but scared to death of going that big. I want to be a 38DD..is this cc size going to be bigger than that? I'm just confused!!

700 cc implants

700 cc implants are quite large. If you did a baggy test or used an implants of that size that you like, then perhaps it is ok for you. But it really depends upon your skin stretch and ability to handle the implant size.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C and a 38 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

700 cc implants and breast lifts

Here are some general things about breast augmentation and breast lifts to think about. 
Breast implants do not lift the breast and larger implants do not lift it further. The lift effect of breast implants is an illusion.
It is not appropriate to start from the number of cc's of an implant and work backward any more than one starts with a dress size or shoe size and works backwards to make it fit. 
In my opinion and experience, external sizers are very inaccurate and not helpful in choosing implants. 
The average implant size is about 350 cc's. There are some that feel that implants larger than 400 cc's is asking for trouble both short term and definitely long term. The real answer is to make sure the implant fits the breast it is filling out and will not overstretch or distort the breast. 
In general, a true lift of the breast will raise it higher on the chest and will make the breast look larger even if no volume is added. This makes it even harder to judge the resulting size or look of a breast related to the effect of the implant. 
A proper lift procedure is a significant stress to the breast and performing a breast augmentation at the same time not only adds to the stress on the breast but adds complexity to get everything to heal properly and get a predictable result without needing a revision. In effect, the breast implant behind the lifted breast works against the lift in terms of blood supply to the nipple-areola and creates tension on the incisions. A 700 cc implant would almost certainly cause problems for the lift. 
I would get an opinion from a plastic surgeon who knows how to fit breast implants properly by their dimensions and what effect they will have rather than the number of cc's. I would also understand that doing a lift of the breast at the same time is doing two significant operations on the same breast at the same time and they tend to work against each other and make it more difficult to obtain a predictable outcome without problems. Some breasts do not actually need a lift and some are better off with just the lift and not the augmentation at the same time. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi K,
Most PS say about 200 cc per cup size.  There are even journal articles published on this.  So a B cup would go to about a C, D, DD with 600 cc.  An A would need more.  That said, the average size we put in in over 6,000 implants is 350.  I wouldn't get too hung up on cup size because it varies depending on what store you buy the bra! If you feel you are overdoing it, back off and go with your feelings.  Larger implants have more problems over the years than smaller implants.
Here are a few tips for you. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra. Approximately 50 cc (1-2 oz.) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial submuscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on about 25-50 cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.

Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover. Then, the patient’s verbal requests are factored into the analysis.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Will 700 cc breast implants give me a 38 DD

Generally speaking 200 cc of implant with enlarge you by 1 cup size.  That said 700 cc implants are extremely large.  In addition combining a breast lift with 700 cc breast implants increases your risks for complications such as nipple areola necrosis due to interference with blood supply and capsular contraction.

I urge you to discuss the risks to your nipple areola when combining a breast lift with such a large implant with your plastic surgeon.

Understand that bra sizes vary according to retailers.  A C cup at Macy's can often be labeled a DD cup at Victoria secret.

For more information on choosing breast implant size please read the following link:

Sounds big.

It is difficult to answer your question specifically without assessing your exact measurements of height, weight, frame, breast diameter, skin quality, degree of sagging, thickness of breast tissue, etc. That being said, a 700 cc implant is considered very large for almost any augmentation patient. I suggest you discuss this further with your plastic surgeon. You might get some helpful information by trying on sizers that your plastic surgeon may have in the office. In general, the larger your implant, the greater the chance you might need some revision surgery at some future point due to gravitational effects and stretching. If you need a breast lift, a smaller implant can generally achieve the look you seeking. Best of luck.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Too big!

Please be careful in considering your size selection.  700 cc is almost twice the volume normally needed to achieve what you are looking for.  Implants that large can overstretch the skin and cause long term problems requiring further surgery.  Also, implants that large have very large diameters, something that contributes to an unnatural appearance.

David A. Hidalgo, MD

Breast Implant Size For Breast Augmentation with Lift

It's virtually impossible to know how a 700cc implant will impact the cup size of a particular patient. Unfortunately, cup size means different things to different people and is, therefore, a frequent source of confusion. For this reason, we utilize implant sizers to determine breast implant size in a more objective manner.

Your history suggests that you would benefit from breast lift surgery. This procedure can also be performed in combination with breast augmentation when patients want larger breasts. Under these circumstances, safety should be everyone's first priority. It's important to realize that the use of large implants can be associated with secondary complications. For this reason, it might be reasonable to stage these procedures when large implants are utilized.

It's important that you thoroughly discuss these options with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to address your concerns and formulate a treatment plan that achieves your aesthetic goals in a safe manner.

Thank you for the question. There is no accurate correlation between size of breast implant and cup size achieved. I ask my patients not to communicate their goals or evaluate the outcome after breast augmentation surgery, in terms of achieving specific cup size.  Cup sizes may vary from one bra manufacturer to another and are not at all a reliable “measure” of breast size.  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "DD cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed, regardless of the specific cup size achieved.