Thinking about traveling to Columbia for a BBL?

I have found a surgeon by the name of Dr. Frank Lamadrid on Instagram, he is on other social media such as Facebook and Twitter, but not Realself.I am questioning his credibility since I can't find him on any other site. I like his work and he as given me an estimate of 5k for the BBL, which is very inexpensive in comparison to 10k and up,but I'm so unsure... Is there any other site I can find more about him?

Possible Travel Out of Country for BBL

Thanks for your question because there is an increase in medical tourism where many Americans travel to other countries for cosmetic surgery because it is cheaper overseas. While there are many good surgeons internationally, there are important considerations to take. First, not all plastic surgeons are subjected to a rigorous training and certification program as in the US. Second, cosmetic surgery internationally is often performed by physicians other than plastic surgeons. Third, the anesthesia and nursing services as well as the place where the procedures are performed need to be to the same standard. Even when everything goes well, complications may occur which need to be taken care of. If you return home and have a problem, it may be difficult to find a doctor willing to take your case (and will be an added expense). In addition, there are some very difficult infections that are endemic to certain parts of the world such as the Caribbean that can occur. Overall, one has to make a decision whether these concerns are worth the cost difference which in the end may not be realized at all.

The Ups and DOWNS of Medical Tourism

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist.   Maybe there is a reason you can not find your Surgeon?  Anyone, can take photos and post them to social media.  Maybe they are not even his/her photos; or maybe they are and they have been manipulated.  I am confused about the price discrepancy.  At my office a BBL estimate is $7900.  That is an all-inclusive price (OR, Surgeon, Anesthesia).   If Columbia is estimating the cost of Surgery at $5k:  then you have hotels, flights, food, etc.  AND then you have the risk of complications in Columbia...but lets say everything goes fine...then who follows you if you have questions/concerns/problems...just check out the boards...everyday there are people who feel abandoned because after you leave the country; they aren't helping you anymore.   Please reach out if you have any further questions.  Best of Luck!   Sincerely, Matthew J. Nykiel, M.D. #RealSelfTopDoctor #RealSelfCoreDoctor “THE” Butt Doctor Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Cosmetic Fellowship Trained Surgeon

Travel expenses as well as expenses for recovery and possible complications must be factored into any decision.

Traveling For Cosmetic Surgery?

Thank you for your question!  This already sounds like a bad idea.  It is never a good idea to leave the country for cosmetic surgery.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon who preforms these routinely, who is not to far from you.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your questions. Let me just say that I would seriously advise you to avoid medical tourism. While you think you are saving money, you are putting yourself at great risk and it is not worth the savings. Often "plastic surgeons" in other countries are not even plastic surgeons and are not under the same regulations and scrutiny as those in this country. If you end up having problems and are back here, you will have no one to turn to and no way to get back to your surgeon. Just take one look on this website and you will see one story after another of tragic tales of people who have done what you are considering and spent a significant amount of money and time afterward regretting that decision.
Above all, be safe!

How to find a qualified plastic surgeon

you should be able to find someone to do a Brazilian for less than $10,00 closer to you

I would steer you away from first of all traveling for cosmetic surgery and secondly choosing a plastic surgeon based on pictures on social media.

There are unfortunately too many plastic surgeons who like talent or ethics who post pictures that may be too good to be true or represent only their very best results. While no one is going to post their worst results on their websites all plastic surgeons will have a couple of homeruns.

The question is what do average results look like from the provider and how qualified is the physician.
My recommendation is to stay local, confirm the plastic surgeon is a member of the American Society of plastic surgeons, look at reviews on reputable websites like yelp(too many websites make it easy to post numerous fake reviews) meet with the plastic surgeon in person before proceeding with any surgical procedure.

When it comes to looking at online reviews patients should see red flags when surgeons have many reviews on only very certain websites.

Doctors who have organic reviews should have reviews evenly distributed on all online doctors review websites. These include yelp, real self, ratemd Healthgrades and vitals.
Doctors who have many reviews on only one or two of these websites but very few on other websites indicate reviews have been manipulated in someway.

Choosing the best doctor is critical!  
Being in the hands of someone who doesn't have the skills needed will leave patients disfigured for life or worse.
This is not the time to try to save a couple of thousand dollars.

This is an investment that will last longer than any other investment you will make in your life.
If it was me I would take advantage of being blessed to live in an area that can deliver the highest quality of medical care in the world.

I realize finances can be important. It's better to wait and save up your money and have this procedure done but the very best.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

Thank you for your question.The popular ‘Brazilian Butt Lift’ procedure is utilizes fat grafting to augment the curves of the gluteal region and accentuate the contour from lower back to buttocks. It is an excellent method for augmenting and lifting the buttocks and provides a beautiful, natural result. The procedure is performed by harvesting fat from unwanted areas of the body with liposuction and injecting it into buttocks. For individuals desiring a BBL but do not have enough fat available to be harvested, gluteal implants may be an excellent option for augmenting and enhancing the contour of the buttocks. Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you go to The American Society of Plastic Surgery website and look for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. Be very careful not to be tricked by gimmicks and do your research. Plan to have a responsible caregiver. If you are traveling by yourself then call ahead and get recommendations from your surgeons office about places to stay and reliable post operative caregivers that they have used before. It is also a good idea to inquire about purchasing cosmetic insurance that will cover complications that could occur within 30 days after surgery. Complications  that are associate with the cosmetic procedure are usually not covered by your regular health insurance. Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.Thank you for your question .