Is being put under at the dentist for your wisdom teeth the same as being put under general anesthesia?

I was told I was put under for my wisdom teeth with gas and IV sedation. I dont remember a thing and didnt feel anything. I'm scared out of my mind of being put under general anesthesia for my bbl surgery. So I am curious, have I been basically put under general anesthesia before or was my experience completely different? Thank you!

Anesthesia & BBL

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist. In my practice; I have an Anesthesia Provider oversee your anesthesia and monitor you.  General anesthesia typically means you are even less aware of the surgery; and that is great!
Best of Luck!  Please reach out if you have any further questions or concerns. Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
Butt Augmentation Specialist

Local and sedation may be appropriate in some patients, but this is not the same as general anesthesia.Everything is balancing risks and complications with result.  Local anesthesia may be appropriate for smaller areas or in areas where less is to be removed or in patients who cannot undergo general anesthesia due to one reason or another.  The more areas that are done, the more that is harvested and injected, the more likely that general anesthesia will be necessary. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Typically these are not the same. IV sedation is used to make someone sleepy, but they are still breathing on their own. There is no breathing tube that is used. General anesthesia is a deeper state of anesthesia were a breathing tube is used. Also, unlike at the dentist, during a surgical procedure there is a dedicated person, typically a board-certified anesthesiologist, whose sole job is to make sure that your anesthesia is performed safely and effectively. This gives your surgeon the ability to focus on the surgical procedure at hand and to leave the anesthesia to a specialist.

Sedation versus General Anastasia

What you had at the dentist was IV sedation. Sedation is usually described as being light moderate or deep. Liposuction including Brazilians can be done with general anesthesia or local anesthesia with some sedation. I prefer doing on my liposuction and fat transfer procedures with my patients awake using local anesthesia and mild to moderate sedation. The rest of general anesthesia it's no more than that of deep sedation if anything I would argue that deep sedation it without an anesthesiologist is probably more dangerous. There are numerous advantages I find it to not use General Anastasia for body contouring. These include better comes, faster recovery, improved safety profile and lower cost. Most plastic surgeons do use General Anastasia for major liposuction in for transfer procedures. About six years ago I converted and started doing these procedures with sedation and have been very pleased with the change. Driving on New Year's Eve it's probably much more dangerous than having general anesthesia. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD