Will waiting more than 3 months for 2nd Miradry procedure make it less effective?

I'm nearly 4 weeks post-op from my 1st Miradry procedure and just starting to notice a bit of sweat returning. I've been trying to use natural deodorant but thinking I may need to switch back to antiperspirant to help with the remaining sweat. I'm certain I want to do a follow-up treatment but for financial reasons, I may need to wait until the new year (9 months total then from 1st treatment) will waiting that long between procedures make the second treatment less effective?

When do I get my second MiraDry treatment?

Patients with moderate sweating typically need one treatment. Patients with severe sweating typically need two treatments to achieve optimal results. Few patients with severe sweating desire a third treatment.  The time frame between treatments will not affect the results or make the treatment less effective.  I recommend you have the treatment when it is convenient for you!

Waiting for 2nd miraDry treatment

No, it is recommended to wait at least 3 months but if you wait longer it will not alter your treatment for miraDry and results.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Miradry / timing

It is perfectly fine waiting longer than the 3 month waiting period between Miradry treatments and will not
change the results. The sweat glands that were destroyed in your initial treatment are permanently gone and cannot return. Hope this helps. 

Tina Venetos, MD
Lake Forest Dermatologist

How long should you wait in between miraDry treatments?

Hi there, 

In our office, we like you to wait a minimum of 8 weeks in between treatments, but waiting longer than that won't hinder your results. 

Good luck!

2nd Miradry procedure

There is no concern with waiting to undergo your 2nd treatment, it will not be less effective. The cells that were destroyed with your 1st session are permanently gone and will not return. Whatever sweat you are noticing is from the small % that were not destroyed initially. MiraDry has an 82% reduction in glands, so there will be some that remain functional. Although over 80-85% of patients are satisfied with a single treatment, for those that do have some persistent sweating the 2nd treatment should be highly effective.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Timing for 2nd miraDry procedure

No. There is no data that shows that 3 months or 4 months makes a difference.

Thoroughness of miraDry energy delivery is the only factor that influences outcomes, as well as the severity of the underlying hyperhidrosis.

In our practice, 90% of our patients require ONLY a single miraDry procedure.

Dr H Karamanoukian

Okay to wait

There is absolutely no problem in waiting.  Patients need to do this all the time.  Remember, you are born with the number of sweat glands you will ever make.  With your 1st treatment, you destroyed a percentage of them.  Once destroyed, they will no regenerate.  The sweating you are experiencing is from the subset of sweat glands that were not destroyed the first round, not from new ones being produced.  Good luck

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Waiting more than 3 months

There is no problem with waiting more than 3 months in between treatments.  Three months is a minimum, not a maximum or absolute.  There is no effect on the efficacy of treatment if you wait.

Grant Stevens, MD