Laser Treatment of Rosacea

I have rosacea and surface capillaries, as well as thin, translucent skin. I'm thinking of having Pixel Laser treatments, but I'd like to know first, what Fitzpatrick skin types are recommended for Pixel Laser?

IPL is tried and true

For the problems you are describing (rosacea and vessels), Intense Pulsed Light treatments are (in my opinion) the gold standard.

These can be performed in your doctor's office quickly and comfortably, and with little to no "down-time".

Laser treatment for redness and capillaries

There are many kinds of lasers available and trying to decide which is the best for your particular problem can be confusing. I would recommend treatment with a laser that specifically targets capillaries and redness. Lasers can produce different wavelengths of energy and each wavelength has a specific target so that only the skin problem is treated without damage to the rest of the tissue. The lasers that will be effective for this problem include the Gemini laser and the Excel V. These lasers are effective not only for capillaries but also redness. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) can also be used effectively. The Pixel laser is not the ideal laser for you. Please consult a dermatologic surgeon or board-certified dermatologist with expertise in laser treatments to guide you. It's important to understand that the results of a laser treatment are highly dependent on the skill and experience of the laser physician. Besides, a skin specialist can help you manage the underlying rosace so that you get fewer capillaries and less redness in the future. I hope this helps.

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Pixel not first line for rosacea. Try V beam or IPL

Ok, to answer your questions in logical sequence. First of all PIXEL is not first line for rosacea - rosacea targeted treatments include- V beam , IPL, 755 Alex, 1064 nm long pulse in paint mode. 

95% of the time I pick up the V Beam as the laser of choice, this can safely treat up to skin type 4, no problems. 

If you have darker skin a 755 or 1064 can help. I also use an IPL for rosacea. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Aesthetic and Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Laser treatment of rosacea

The redness and capillaries of Rosacea are best treated with a vascular specific laser or light source.  The most effective laser, and gold standard treatment for this type of Rosacea is the Pulsed Dye Laser, with the VBeam laser being far and away the most commonly utilized.  Other options include the 532-KTP lasers and Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) devices, but I generally find these less effective with more potential for side effects.

Pixel Lasers treatments are used for resurfacing-- improvement of such things as lines, wrinkles, textures and scarring.  They are generally safe in all lighter skin types and most Asian, Hispanic or Middle Eastern skin.   I personally would not treat darker skin types, such as African-American skin (Fitzpatrick V or VI).

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon