Is it possible to get the ORBERA Intragastric Balloon if you already have a lap band?

I had lap band surgery done in 2006. I lost about 40 lbs over the course of 6 years but have gained about 1/2 of it back. I really need something that will help my appetite and sweets cravings and was hoping the gastric balloon would assist with that but it is possible to have both?

Gastric Balloon after lap band

I agree with the previous two answers.  It is contraindicated to insert a gastric balloon in a patient who has a lap band.  However, if you get the band removed (since it does not seem to be effective at this time), there may be an option for the balloon then.

Irvine Internist

Answer is No

Orbera Balloon is FDA approved for patients who have no prior gastric surgery. Your LapBand procedure disqualifies you from this intervention. The thought process is that prior stomach surgery could increase your risk of a complication such as an ulcer or perforation.

Steven Fowler, MD, FACS
Honolulu Bariatric Surgeon

Is it possible to get the Orbera balloon if you already have a lap band

Hi Candy

Thank you for your query. Placement of the Orbera intragastric balloon is contraindicated in a patient who has an existing lap band. I presume the lap band has not been successful thus looking for alternative options. There are other options available to you, via endoscopy, as well as surgical.  I would first consider removal of the lap band. I hope this is helpful to you and best wishes on your efforts

Isaac Raijman, MD
Houston Physician