Risk of Ptosis After Chin Implant Removal?

I am a 41 y.o. healthy female, 4 months post-op after a chin implant. It is a size 2 (5 - 6mm projection) Silastic implant without "wings." I want it removed because it is slightly tilted and still feels/looks tight when I smile big and when making expressions. I can't get used to the new shape; I don't feel like me anymore and it's causing me a lot of emotional stress. My only concern now is my fear of the chin drooping or other complications from the removal. Thoughts? Thank you!

Chin implant removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Removal is a lot easier and less risky than implantation. Your chin will just go back to its previous shape and position. If the tilt is a problem, consider exchanging it for one with wings. Longer, more anatomic implants are much less likely to tilt and look more natural.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal

Chin Implant removal information/and considerations: For the vast majority of chin implants, removal is straight  forward most commonly using the  same incision that was used to place it. The procedure is often done in the office with local anesthesia with or without some sedation, but also commonly done in the OR under IV sedation or general anesthesia per patient's and surgeon's preference.  Most implants are silicone and are not adherent so slip out readily. Medpor, also called PTFE, may have tissue ingrowth and can be a bit more involved but still can be removed in the same manner.  It is very helpful for your surgeon to  review your prior surgical records to know the size and type of implant used. This may be obtained by contacting your prior surgeon's office or OR facility and request your prior surgical records.

Expectations: if the chin implant was small and removed within the first few years chances are likely that you will return a similar size and shape as before. If the implant was small, the chin soft tissue usually shrinks back down without  sagging.  Often, there is still some gain once the implant is removed due to the scarring and capsule (lining your body makes around the implant) that gives some benefit. On the other hand a large implant placed many years ago, and other factors such as being elderly, having osteoporosis and perhaps smoking that can cause loss of underlying bone due to  bony erosion from the pressure of the implant. In this case  use of a natural filler such your fat or at times a bone graft may recommended for different reasons. Your surgeon may request a  Panorex or lateral cephalometric x-ray to see if this is the case.  Temporary fillers can also be tried such as Jeuvederm, Sculptra, Voluma, Volbella, etc. 

Most important of all make sure you pick a plastic surgeon with great expertise in #chinaugmentation and #chinimplantremoval. 

See the below link on how best to choose your surgeon.

Ptosis after chin implant removal

It is very rare to see ptosis after chin implant removal.  That pre-existing chin implant can be removed, or replaced with a different sized implant. Chin implants are composed of Silastic, are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, and can be custom carved according to the patient's unique anatomy. Consultation and examination are needed on revisional surgery such as this due to the fact that the chin and the implants are both three-dimensional structures

Risk ofPtosis after Chin Implant Removal in 35 Year Old Female

There is very, very little risk of ptosis after chin Implant removal. I strongly encourage you to consider  replacement with a chin-jowel implant (implant with wings) to improve contour and position.