Non-Invasive Procedure to Remove Double Chin

I would like to get rid of my "double chin" but I absolutely cannot have time off from work and showing up there wearing pressure bandage after liposuction is simply impossible.

Are there any options that will allow me to improve the contour under my chin? I am 38, normal weight.

Both previous expert posters on correct. More "bang for your buck" with some type of liposuction. I prefer Smart Lipo under local anesthesia. All the other "non invasive" therapies are very limited and unpredictable. 

Chin liposuction

Thanks for sharing. In general current neck rejuvenation treatments include:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and/or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
  6. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their show
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

At your age you likely only need minor treatment such as liposuction / laser lipolysis. Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Kybella Might Be What You Are Looking For

Hi Julia,
The FDA just approved an injectable treatment to get rid of neck fat called Kybella. I just got back from the annual meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic surgeons in Montreal and had a chance to talk to the manufacturer. It looks like it will be this fall when it's available. Here's what I learned.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

There are a variety of ways to contour the chin

There are a variety of ways to contour the chin, including a few non-invasive options that have just recently been FDA approved. These non-invasive options include Kybella, which is an injectable treatment that dissolves fat in the chin, CoolMini, which uses cryolipolisis to freeze and eliminate fat cells, and ThermiTight, which uses radio frequency technology to reduce chin fat. These non-invasive treatments require minimal to no downtime, although they may require multiple sessions for best results. Chin liposuction is another option. It is a surgical procedure, but if you have it done on aFriday most people are able to go back to work Monday no problem. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist who can help you find the best treatment plan for your lifestyle and goals.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Treatment for double chin

From your photos, I believe you would be a good candidate for a limited liposuction of the chin/neck.  To help the skin shrink or retract ultrasound or laser assisted liposuction could also be added.  This procedure could be performed under local anesthesia with sedation.  If performed on a Friday, you could remove the compression bandage by Monday, so that you would be presentable, when you returned to work.   You could then wear the compression bandage only at night. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Double chin

Tumescent liposuction is your best option. The bandage is worn 48-72 hours , continuously. After that it is worn evenings only for 2 weeks. Usually , procedure is done on friday, so that by Monday, u can go back to work. It is an in-office procedure, under local anesthesia.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Limited Neck Liposuction For Small Double Chin Has A Quick Recovery

As you have corrently surmised, liposuction is the most effective treatment for a 'fat only' double chin that you have. Non-surgical options are a possibility, such as ultrasound and other heat-generating devices, but their effectiveness is limited and results can be spotty. I have found Lipodissolve injections to be effective but they cause tremendous swelling (double the neck size) for a week after and are worse in social appearance than any liposuction result. My recommendation is have liposuction done on a friday and just don't wear a neck strap to work on monday After 48 hours most of my patients don't wear them anyway. I think you may be chasing some very inferior treatments when the traditional fat removal method would work just fine and not be as socially limiting as you might think.

Non-Surgical Necklift Option: Ultherapy

For non-surgical neck-tightening, I recommend Ulthera (Ultherapy). Using ultrasound technology, Ulthera uses focused ultrasound to lift and tighten loose skin over time, without any downtime. However, nothing can quite compare with the fantastic results of a surgical necklift. Non-surgical procedures have to be repeated to maintain the look you want - which means in the end you'll likely end up spending as much as you would have on a necklift, which is longer lasting.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

PrecisionTx

You appear to be an excellent candidate for PrecisionTx a form of SmartLipo specifically tailored for removing the fat under the chin and jowls and tightening the skin as well.

Good luck

Aloha, Dr C

Cool mini and Kybella are non-surgical options for correction of a double chin that last.

Hello and thank-you for sharing your question and photo.

We are very excited with the development of several non-invasive techniques for correction of a double chin. We offer the Cool mini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate. Generally, two treatments are required separated by 4-6 weeks.  We also offer Kybella which is another non-surgical alternative to liposuction. Generally 3-6 treatments are needed separated by 4-6 weeks.  If there is mild to moderate skin laxity, combining the treatment with Ultherapy is an excellent option.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn about your options..

Best regards,

Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS