Does Kissing Distort the Appearance of Restylane or Make the Product Break Down ?

Kissing after Restylane injected into the Lip

This is a great question.  Many patients want to know if there are any restrictions after their treatment.  There is no contraindications to kissing after injections.  Your lips will be swollen and perhaps sore, so you may not be in the mood to kiss.  Also there is no evidence to support that kissing will cause more rapid breakdown of the product.

Annapolis Dermatologist

Cupid and Restylane - Does Kissing Distort the Appearance of Restylane?

Regarding: "Does Kissing Distort the Appearance of Restylane or Make the Product Break Down ?"

Although serious lip compression (like squeezing a tube of toothpaste...) in the first few days after Restylane injection in the lips MAY displace the product, this is not seen with most kissing. Moreover, all the kissing in the world cannot breakdown Restylane. The product will break down after a long time or, if needed, after being injected with hyaluronidase, am enzyme.

Happy Kissing!

Dr. Peter Aldea

Restylane Lips Are Kissable

While you may have some slight bruising and soreness after lip augmentation with Restylane or Restylane Silk, as soon as you're lips feel ready, you can go ahead and kiss! I would recommend waiting about 2 days to let things settle down. The filler will not be displaced by kissing, any more than it would be by talking, expressing, etc. It should last about 12 to 18 months, depending on your metabolism.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Kissing after treatment

After a few days, the Restylane should be set that it won’t be displaced by kissing or applying other pressure on the lips. I don’t think Restylane can be broken down faster by kissing, but it can be broken down faster with lots of movement (that includes talking, eating, and other mouth actions).

Restylane and kissing

Well after having Restylane your lips should look very kissable but I think air kissing for the first day is probably best. Then kiss away there is no evidence that this will negatively effect the lip augmentation. Happy smooching!

Michael Elam, MD

Kissing can distort the appearance of Restylane

Kissing can distort the appearance of Restylane making the product break down within the first 48 hours. We usually tell people if they’re having lip augmentation not to do anything where they’re really manipulating the lips for the first 48 hours. I think any movement of the mouth will break down product over time.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Kissing after restylane

I would make your lips a "no kiss zone" for several hours after treatment or until the soreness goes away.  Then "kiss away!"

Kissing won't make your Restylane or Juvederm move around or get distorted.

After getting lip fillers, I would wait a day or two before heavy kissing, but the gel itself won't break down faster than normal with lots of kissing. Depending on how much you get there is a very small chance it could be slightly manipulated into different locations, but I wouldn't worry about that too much, especially after several days.

Enjoy!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

You may kiss after Juvederm and Restylane injections in the lip

There is no evidence that kissing activity will negatively affect the result of lip augmentation with Restylane or Juvederm filling of the lip.  MOst people should not immediately kiss and let the needle insertion sites seal over and many apply ice for a couple of minutes after to reduce swelling.  Kissing in the first few hours might increase the swelling but when your lips feel comfortable you should feel no hesitation to kiss.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Kissing after fillers

Kissing is an approved activity after fillers in the lips and should not move the filler around. However, aggressive massage should not be done at home to an area with filler.

Amy A. McClung, MD
Austin Dermatologist