Recovery from a Male Tummy Tuck

What is the recovery for a male getting a tummy tuck? Similar to a womans recovery? Tying to figure out length to be out of work

Male Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty

A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty in men is usually about the same operation.Most of the time there is no need for any muscle work however and as a result, there is a little less discomfort when you are using your abdominal muscles.For instance, getting out of bed will be easier and your ability to do things like a full sit up will only be a couple of weeks rather than 6 weeks.

If a rapid recovery tummy tuck protocol is employed by your surgeon you will not have any drains and you should be able to return to a desk job within days.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from a male tummy tuck?

Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Given your desires, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. I typically recommend a 6 week period of no strenuous activity/vigorous exercise along with an abdominal binder for the same time period. It usually takes 6-12 weeks for full healing and swelling to subside before results final. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Recovery from Tummy tuck

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients do notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.  If swelling manifests during your workout routine, you may benefit from use of compression garments.   But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her specific recommendations.  Enjoy your results!

Dr. Basu

Recovery after Male tummy tuck is usually faster than woman's

Many times there is no muscle repair needed during a male tummy tuck. If this is the case with you, the recovery will be faster than a full tummy tuck with muscle repair on a woman.  You should expect to be in pain for a week, sore for another week, then start to feel better each day. My male patients are often cleared for full activity in 3 weeks. Good Luck.

Tummy Tuck Recovery Time Schedule

Immediately after surgery, within the first few hours,  patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position.  During the 6 weeks after surgery, strenuous activity and the lifting of more than ten pounds must be avoided.  Many patients are able to return to light work and daily activities within 2-3 weeks of surgery.  Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months. Abdominoplasty recovery can be in some cases slow and uncomfortable requiring more time for a full recovery. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. Sports will be more comfortable after 6 weeks. Healing is similar between the sexes.

Male tummy tuck recovery

Typically the recovery from a tummy tuck is similar for males and females.  Most patients will require narcotic pain medication for up to a week.  Drains will be placed during surgery and left in for 1-2 weeks.  Most male patients can plan to return to work in 2-3 weeks unless their job requires heavy lifting more than 20 lbs.  Patients are restricted from heavy lifting for at least 4 weeks in most cases.  Bruising and swelling will be present for a number of weeks, and scars may remain pink for up to a year or more.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Male TT recovery

The recovery after abdominoplasty (tummy-tuck) in men seems to be a bit easier than in women.  Pregnancy in women causes anatomical changes that are not really seen with the typical male weight loss patient.  Pregancy causes a characteristic separation (diastasis) of the rectus muscles.  This muscle issue is a significant part of a tummy-tuck in a woman.  In men, tummy-tuck is often just a skin & fat procedure.  In these cases the recovery is obviously easier than the typical abdominoplasty in women.  For most women there is a significant separation of these muscles that is necessary to change the shape and appearance of the abdomen.  In cases where these muscles do need to be repaired in men, the recovery would be comparable. In most cases my patients return to work in about a week- rarely longer than that.  This is appropriate for sedentary work

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Recovery after male tummy tuck

Recovery is very similar to female tummy tucks.   The majority of my patients can return to deskwork at 2 weeks and labor jobs by 4-6 weeks.    Again, healing is subjective and individualized to each patient.   More or less time may be necessary depending on you.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Recovery after male tummy tuck

I would expect one to be able to return to light work in 2-3 weeks and heavy work in 6-8 weeks.

If muscle repair of the six pack muscles is needed, please add another 2-3 weeks.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Downtime for a male tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is less than for a female.

Most men do not need repair of the abdominal wall as part of an abdominoplasty that is almost always needed in a female who has had children.  This will significantly decrease the discomfort and convalescence.