How is Recovery After a Breast Lift and Implants?

I'm having a lift and aug in a few days and am a hairstylist, so I want to know what to expect as far as a discomfort level and return to work. My doc told me a week and come back light, just wanna know that's long enough.

Recovery After Breast Surgery

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
It is important to follow the instructions of your board-certified surgeon. If you have any concerns regarding recovery, please reach out to them directly. Best of luck to you! 

Recovery After Breast Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Recovery following Breast lift

Thank you for your question. Recovery can vary from patient to patient.  Pain is tolerated differently depending upon the person. I would suggest you allow yourself 7-10 days without work and then ease back into your routine gradually.  Work back up to your previous activity level.

Recovery following Breast lift

Breast lift and augmentation post op pain

Hi,

I think your doctor is right on course with the recommendations especially considering he knows your situation and body type.

The breast lift causes very little pain.  Even with larger breast reduction patients do not experience much pain post op for the most part.  I have done many thousands of these so I can tell you with a good deal of certainty that the patient with a breast lift or breast reduction that has a lot of pain post op is the exception.

Now the augmentation part of your case is different.  If your doctor is placing the implants under the muscle (my preference), then the muscle takes time to adjust to the new stretch and tries to get back to the chest wall.  This does cause post op pain that should be treated with pain meds as needed.

Your doctor has given you good advice but of course you have to consider that pain and discomfort is variable from patient to patient.

Hi,

Recovery after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you regarding returning to activities, including work. Generally speaking, patients are able to return to light duty/desk jobs about one week after surgery. If you are holding a heavy blow dryer you may require an additional week to 10 days away from this activity.

Augmentation and Back to Work?

Dear Tory,
Thank  you for your post. Yes, in general, going back to work in 1 week is fine for a motivated individual.  Expect to be sore but can certainly be done.  When you are at work, avoid lifting anything heavy or reaching too high above your head, stretching the incisions.
Best Wishes, 
Pablo Prichard, MD

Augmentation and Back to Work?

Dear Tory,
Best Wishes, 
Pablo Prichard, MD

Return to work after breast augmentation and lift

Unfortunately, you do not describe the type of lift you are having.  These can vary from around the nipple to a lollipop or boat anchor incisions.  Also, you do not describe whether the implants will be placed in front of or behind the muscle.  Implants behind the muscle hurt longer and stretching of the muscles can aggravate the pain.  Usually 1 one week would be enough to get you back to light duty or 4 weeks to be completely back to normal.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Recovery after breast surgery

I would say that generally most patients that have breast augmentation surgery have a fairly quick recovery.  It is not uncommon for patients to return to work in less than a week.  Most patients are not ready, however, to go back to strenuous activity at this time, return to the gym, return to heavy lifting or pushing prior to at least 4-6 weeks.  But, returning to light activities such as going back to work where you are either at a computer or working under conditions that do not require a whole lot of physical exertion, then it is feasible to return after only one week of recovery time. 

As far as it being a noticeable change, if a person decides to have an augmentation that is rather conservative and with the use of a sports bra that minimizes the appearance of the chest, then it is unlikely anyone will really notice a major change in your appearance.  I hope this answers your questions and I wish you the best on your operation!

Recovery after breast surgery

Breast Lift and Implant Recovery

Breast augmentation is a major surgery, and healing and getting back to “feeling normal” does take time.  Most surgeons recommend a post-operative recovery time of 6-12 weeks, and it can take even longer for all the post-operative swelling to disappear and the implants to settle into their final position.  I would encourage you to be patient during the healing process, as difficult as that can be sometimes!

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Implant Recovery

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Return to Work when You Are Off Narcotic Pain Medication

Thank you for your question. Please follow the advice of your surgeon, because they know all the details of your case. I generally recommend that people can return to work within 3-4 days, whenever they are off narcotic pain medication. I recommend to wait 4-6 weeks though before lifting loads or performing active movement of the arms and upper torso. Otherwise, you risk implant displacement, wound breakdown, development of a hematoma or seroma.

Breast Lift And Augmentation Recovery

Concerns about the recovery period are very common amongst women who are considering breast augmentation surgery. It's important to realize that every patient's situation is unique.

Some patients have jobs that involve heavy lifting, while others sit at a desk. Some patients have children, while others have a significant support system available to them. Some patients have more extensive procedures, while some patients have a low pain tolerance. All of these factors can impact the recovery period.

I generally recommend that patients take a week off from work. Patients who have desk jobs may return sooner. Light exercise can usually be undertaken at about two weeks and strenuous physical activity can be resumed at six weeks. At that time, I tell patients that they may return to full activity without restrictions.

Two situations deserve special mention, these include childcare and driving. I tell patients that they shouldn't drive a motor vehicle until they're no longer taking narcotic pain relievers. Also, I believe that if you have small children at home, some type of childcare assistance should be available for at least one week following surgery. When all of these factors are considered, most patients feel that the recovery was less difficult than expected.

Breast Lift And Augmentation Recovery