I'm having a lift and aug in a few days and am a hairstylist, so I want to know what to expect as far as a discomfort level and return to work. My doc told me a week and come back light, just wanna know that's long enough.
How is Recovery After a Breast Lift and Implants?
Doctor Answers 21
Recovery After Breast Surgery
- Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
- Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
- A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
- Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
- Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
- You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Recovery following Breast lift
Best of luck,
Breast lift and augmentation post op pain
I think your doctor is right on course with the recommendations especially considering he knows your situation and body type.
The breast lift causes very little pain. Even with larger breast reduction patients do not experience much pain post op for the most part. I have done many thousands of these so I can tell you with a good deal of certainty that the patient with a breast lift or breast reduction that has a lot of pain post op is the exception.
Now the augmentation part of your case is different. If your doctor is placing the implants under the muscle (my preference), then the muscle takes time to adjust to the new stretch and tries to get back to the chest wall. This does cause post op pain that should be treated with pain meds as needed.
Your doctor has given you good advice but of course you have to consider that pain and discomfort is variable from patient to patient.
You might also like...
Return to work after breast augmentation and lift
Unfortunately, you do not describe the type of lift you are having. These can vary from around the nipple to a lollipop or boat anchor incisions. Also, you do not describe whether the implants will be placed in front of or behind the muscle. Implants behind the muscle hurt longer and stretching of the muscles can aggravate the pain. Usually 1 one week would be enough to get you back to light duty or 4 weeks to be completely back to normal.
Best of Luck,
Gary Horndeski, M.D.
Recovery after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?
Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you regarding returning to activities, including work. Generally speaking, patients are able to return to light duty/desk jobs about one week after surgery. If you are holding a heavy blow dryer you may require an additional week to 10 days away from this activity.
Time off Work post Breast Lift and Augmentation
Augmentation and Back to Work?
Thank you for your post. Yes, in general, going back to work in 1 week is fine for a motivated individual. Expect to be sore but can certainly be done. When you are at work, avoid lifting anything heavy or reaching too high above your head, stretching the incisions.
Pablo Prichard, MD
Activities after a breast augmentation
The only activities I would restrict a patient to after a breast augmentation would be not to lift greater than 20 pounds and avoid activities where the breasts bounce up and down for 6 weeks. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z
Recovery after a breast lift and implants
Recovery after a breast lift and implant surgery is a little more recovery than after just implant surgery. Breast implant surgery recovery or breast enhancement surgery recovery is essentially a 24 hour recovery, back to light activity, with a shower the same day of surgery. In my practice, no restrictive bra or dressing is necessary after a breast augmentation. The breast lift would mean that the patient would not shower for one to two days after surgery. There is a little more discomfort with the combination of a breast lift with implants rather than an isolated breast implant surgery.
With sub muscular implant placement, I recommend about one week off from light duty work. However when it comes to upper body exercise , I recommend a full 6 weeks off, to allow the muscles to settle and heal.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.