Recommended Pillow for Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift?

Realizing that after the BBL surgery, I would not be able to sit for approx. 2-3 weeks, is it possible to use a boppy pillow for a quick 5 minute ride in the car one week post-opt? Is there any pillow that BBL Doctors are recommending to allow you to sit for 5 to 10 minutes a day or is any type of sitting entirely off limits for 2-3 weeks? Thank you

BBL Recovery and Post-Op Pillows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist.

Each Surgeon has a slightly different recovery protocol and you should always go over your surgeon's protocol.     

PILLOWS:  Why is the post-operative Pillows and Sitting so important in recovery for a BBL?   Because it is extremely important that one avoids sitting or lying which generates pressure onto their butt for prolonged periods of time during the early stages of healing when the transferred fat is trying to live.  The off-loading pillow allows you to sit and return to work or simply relax.   

The sitting/pillow restrictions should be continued for 4 weeks following surgery; and the restrictions are gradually lengthened with each week (see timetable below).  

But Why does it matter?  Because the transplanted fat cells must re-establish blood supply in order to live.  In the first four weeks after surgery, these fat cells are very fragile and susceptible to pressure which can cause cell death or cause the fat to disappear. Therefore, during the 4 week period we encourage patients to avoid sitting.  But (No Pun), if it is absolutely necessary you can sit for certain time intervals (see table below) and/or utilize an off-loading pillow.  

What Type of Specific Pillow?  Any type of pillow works; no "one pillow" has been shown to be better than another. How does an Off-Loading Pillow Work? The pillow is folded and placed behind your knees and under your thighs.  This effectively puts all the pressure on your thighs and "off-loads" pressure on your butt.  This may potentially minimize the cell damage of the transferred fat.  As the potential for cell death is decreased, the potential for surgical results are optimized.  Again, a regular pillow will work; if you are looking for a specific off-loading pillow, examples are:  Booty Buddy®, BBL Pillow®, Booty Mate® etc.   

SITTING PROTOCOL:  I utilize a 4 week sitting protocol.  Again, the 1st week I like you to be off your butt as much as possible in the early stages of healing.  The protocol is:
◦ Week 1: Sitting for the bathroom
◦ Week 2: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow. If you do not have a pillow then: 15-30 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
◦ Week 3: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow.  If you do not have a pillow then:  30-60 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
◦ Week 4: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow.   If you do not have a pillow then:  1-2 hours at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
◦ Week 5:  No Sitting Restrictions.  Sit as usual.  Unless otherwise directed.

RETURN TO WORK:  Most of my patients are back to work in 1 week or less.  Again, I perform a number of these procedure on college students and professionals that sit for the majority of their day.  

ACTIVITY:  After 1 week you can Run/Jog or go to the gym.  Prior to 1 week, I want you walking around as much as possible.

RETURN TO GYM:  After 1 week you can go to the gym.  You can do any upper body work out and/or Run/Jog.  No lower body squats or any activity that requires you to place pressure on your Butt/Gluts (i.e. Leg Press, Back Row etc) until after 4 weeks from surgery. 

Best of Luck!  Please reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
#TopREALSELFDoctor
#CoreREALSELFDoctor
Butt Augmentation Specialist
Liposuction Specialist

An inflatable pillow could be helpful...

When patients undergo brazilian butt lift surgery, it’s important that they avoid sitting or lying on their buttocks for prolonged periods of time.This practice should be continued for at least two to three weeks following surgery.It take time for transplanted fat cells to re-establish blood supply.In the first two weeks following surgery, these fat cells are very fragile and susceptible to pressure which can cause cell death.
During this period we encourage patients to avoid sitting, but if it’s absolutely necessary an inflatable pillow can be utilized.This device distributes pressure evenly and minimizes the potential for cell damage.When these steps are taken, the potential for cell death appears to be minimized and surgical results are optimized.

Booty Buddy

You can sit on the Booty Buddy if you need to sit down for an extended period of time. You should under no circumstances sit directly on your buttock for the first 2-3 weeks following your surgery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question!  After a BBL, I try to have my patients stay off their butt for 4-6 weeks.  While this is very difficult especially having to go back to work, drive the kids to school, and live life, I think staying off one's butt is very important after surgery.  As a result, we have been using a "buckwheat" pillow that seems to be resilient to a patient's body weight and props their butt up without having direct pressure on the newly operated region.  They have different shapes and sizes.  I recommend the combination of a rectangular shape and a smaller lumbar pillow for added support.  The inflatable pillows seem to still place pressure on regions that I would not recommend.   I hope this helps!!

How To Sit After Brazilian Butt Lift

While it is preferable to not place any pressure on your butt for at least the first week after a Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, sitting for a short ride a week later should not be detrimental if you take appropriate precautions. I recommend any pillow that distributes pressure or prevents specific pressure. A Boppy is excellent. A memory foam pillow will also work.
At my practice, we give detailed instructions for pre-surgical and post-surgical care, activity, diet and supplementation, and expectations for each surgery. This is especially true of a Brazilian Butt Lift, which I consider to be more of a collaboration between surgeon and patient in order to get the desired results.

The BBL Pillow

Brazilian Butt Lift is quickly becoming one of the most popular procedures in the United States because it can give patients a total body transformation.  The combination of the liposculpting and fat transfer can give patients the hourglass or A frame figure they have always desired and has led to the popularity of the procedure! 

One of the most common questions that I get during the consultation is about sitting.  We never realize how much we sit until we can’t sit anymore.  I currently recommend to my patients that they cannot sit for six weeks after surgery.  This is so important because the fat transferred needs to “take” so that you can have the best results possible from their Brazilian Butt Lift.

The fat that is transferred survives by having new blood vessels grow into it so that it can last for years to come.  Any pressure (such as sitting) can disrupt this process and decrease the amount of fat that survives and ultimately your results. 

My current protocol is:

1. No sitting for six weeks
  2. No laying on your back for six weeks
  3. After two weeks, you can use the BBL pillow if you have to sit to travel, meeting or such.
    1. The BBL pillow fits on airline seats
    2. This is the BBL pillow that we currently use:
      • bblpillow.com
    3. This should be used as little as possible as the more you can avoid sitting all together the better.
  4. After 6 weeks patients, can start sitting for an hour at a time.

I believe that not sitting is so important that a BBL pillow is included in every butt augmentation surgery that we perform.  We see a dramatic difference in the patients that are meticulous about not sitting and using their pillow versus those that put pressure on the butt. 

We have been fortunate to have some amazing results in our practice and that in part is due to how meticulous our patients are about not sitting or lying on their back for the first six weeks.  If they have to sit, they will be using their BBL pillow. 

The Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery is a big investment in time and money so I want all of my patients to get the best result possible.  I am writing this blog to stress the importance of not sitting after your surgery so can get the best possible result.

Please discuss your Brazilian Butt Lift (Butt Augmentation with Fat Transfer) with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  Every surgeon has their own sitting protocol after surgery and you should discuss it with them so that you can follow their instructions to get the best possible results from your Brazilian Butt lift.  

Sitting Post BBL

Thank you for your question! I do not suggest sitting directly on your buttocks 2-3 weeks after surgery.  You will not get the desired results you want! Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel 
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon 
Chicago 
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

A BBL pillow should be used when sitting. It puts the weight on your thighs, and not on your buttocks. There are commercial products that can be purchased online. Booty buddy is one that that works well.

Sitting on buttocks after surgery

You can sit on a donut cushion and limit your car ride to 5 minutes maximum if you need to sit on your buttocks directly.

Ronald Levine, MD

Post-Op After BBL

There are no actual clinical studies comparing any method or time frame regarding the use of pillows and avoiding pressure on the buttocks after fat transfer. I believe that after approximately one week fat grafts are well fixated to their surrounding tissues and graft survival is usually determined within that first week. After that, probably doesn't make a difference. However, logic dictates trying to protect the area from repeated trauma early on as these tissues would still be more prone to that and therefore less survival.