Recommended Pillow for Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift?

Realizing that after the BBL surgery, I would not be able to sit for approx. 2-3 weeks, is it possible to use a boppy pillow for a quick 5 minute ride in the car one week post-opt? Is there any pillow that BBL Doctors are recommending to allow you to sit for 5 to 10 minutes a day or is any type of sitting entirely off limits for 2-3 weeks? Thank you

Booty Buddy

You can sit on the Booty Buddy if you need to sit down for an extended period of time. You should under no circumstances sit directly on your buttock for the first 2-3 weeks following your surgery.

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

An inflatable pillow could be helpful...

When patients undergo brazilian butt lift surgery, it’s important that they avoid sitting or lying on their buttocks for prolonged periods of time.This practice should be continued for at least two to three weeks following surgery.It take time for transplanted fat cells to re-establish blood supply.In the first two weeks following surgery, these fat cells are very fragile and susceptible to pressure which can cause cell death.
During this period we encourage patients to avoid sitting, but if it’s absolutely necessary an inflatable pillow can be utilized.This device distributes pressure evenly and minimizes the potential for cell damage.When these steps are taken, the potential for cell death appears to be minimized and surgical results are optimized.

How To Sit After Brazilian Butt Lift

While it is preferable to not place any pressure on your butt for at least the first week after a Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, sitting for a short ride a week later should not be detrimental if you take appropriate precautions. I recommend any pillow that distributes pressure or prevents specific pressure. A Boppy is excellent. A memory foam pillow will also work.
At my practice, we give detailed instructions for pre-surgical and post-surgical care, activity, diet and supplementation, and expectations for each surgery. This is especially true of a Brazilian Butt Lift, which I consider to be more of a collaboration between surgeon and patient in order to get the desired results.

Sitting Post BBL

Thank you for your question! I do not suggest sitting directly on your buttocks 2-3 weeks after surgery.  You will not get the desired results you want! Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel 
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon 
Chicago 
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sitting on buttocks after surgery

You can sit on a donut cushion and limit your car ride to 5 minutes maximum if you need to sit on your buttocks directly.

Ronald Levine, MD

A BBL pillow should be used when sitting. It puts the weight on your thighs, and not on your buttocks. There are commercial products that can be purchased online. Booty buddy is one that that works well.

BBL Recovery and Post-Op Pillows

Hi and great question. 
I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure and the after-care to the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL).

Each Surgeon has a slightly different recovery protocol and you should always go over your surgeon's protocol.  

Why is the post-operative recovery so important for a BBL?  
Because it is important that one avoids sitting or lying (generating pressure) on their butt for prolonged periods of time.  These restrictions should be continued 4 weeks following surgery; and the restrictions are gradually lengthened with each week (see timetable below).  But Why does it matter?  Because the transplanted fat cells must re-establish blood supply in order to live.  In the first four weeks after surgery, these fat cells are very fragile and susceptible to pressure which can cause cell death or cause the fat to disappear. Therefore, during the 4 week period we encourage patients to avoid sitting.  But (No Pun), if it is absolutely necessary you can sit for certain time intervals (see table below) and utilize an off-loading pillow.  Any type of pillow works fine; no "one pillow" has been shown to be better than another.
How does an Off-Loading Pillow Work?
The pillow is folded and placed behind your knees and under your thighs.  This effectively puts all the pressure on your thighs and "off-loads" pressure on your butt.  This may potentially minimizes the cell damage.  When the potential for cell death is minimized, the potential surgical results are optimized.Best of Luck!

Sincerely,
Matthew J Nykiel, MD
Butt Augmentation Specialist, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
#RealSelfTopDoctor
#RealSelfCoreDoctor

Sitting the first week is usually difficult bc the butt muscles are sore. Everyone has slightly different protocols/recoveries for sitting. The protocol I use:
  • Week 1: Sitting for the bathroom and quick meals (less than 5 minutes 4x/day)
    Week 2: Sitting for 15 to 30 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
    Week 3: Sitting for 30 to 60 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
    Week 4: Sitting for 1 to 2 hours at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.

For the first 4 weeks, I like you to place a pillow under your knees/thighs when you sit to keep you from placing pressure on your butt.

After 4 weeks, the sitting restriction are removed.
Return to Work:
  • Typically, most of my patients are back to work after 1 to 2 weeks.

Recommended Pillow for Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question. I would not recommend prolonged sitting for at least 2 weeks after surgery. 5 minute rides are fine,  My patients use the boppy pillow/booty buddy for 2-3 weeks. Sit upright when going to the bathroom. Review with your Surgeons your post op instructions and follow his recommendations. Best wishes

Recommend Pillow for sitting after Brazilian Butt Lift?

Postoperative strategies after Brazilian butt lift are very important. The specialized garment is involved that avoids too much pressure on the transferred fat. Also sitting on your upper thighs and avoiding direct pressure on the buttock helps. There are special cutout pillows in the shape of a donut that are comfortable and help as well.

The BBL Pillow

The Brazilian Butt Lift utilizes your own natural fat for the augmentation. One of the keys of the fat transfer is that it is incorporated and becomes your fat just in a better place!

The key is how do we maximize the amount of fat that is going “take” or survive for the augmentation. One of the things that can help increase the amount of fat that stays after the transfer is preventing any trauma to the buttock area, that includes sitting. The pressure of sitting can be harmful to the fat for the first couple of weeks after the transfer.

I typically have patients avoid sitting for two weeks after the surgery. They can walk and sleep on their belly, just no sitting. After the first two weeks they can sit for an hour with a 10 minute break in between sitting sessions. After six weeks they can return to all of their normal routines.

There are special pillows that patients can purchase that avoids any pressure on the buttock in the post-operative period so that they can sit at work and still protect their fat transfer procedure. One of my favorite pillows for patient is called the “BBL Pillow”. The key with these specialized pillows is that all of the weight is on the posterior thighs and not on the buttock. The buttock should be hanging off the end of the pillows.

I hope this helps, be sure to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.