Recommended Pillow for Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift?

Realizing that after the BBL surgery, I would not be able to sit for approx. 2-3 weeks, is it possible to use a boppy pillow for a quick 5 minute ride in the car one week post-opt? Is there any pillow that BBL Doctors are recommending to allow you to sit for 5 to 10 minutes a day or is any type of sitting entirely off limits for 2-3 weeks? Thank you

BBL Recovery and Post-Op Pillows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist.

Each Surgeon has a slightly different recovery protocol and you should always go over your surgeon's protocol.     

PILLOWS:  Why is the post-operative Pillows and Sitting so important in recovery for a BBL?   Because it is extremely important that one avoids sitting or lying which generates pressure onto their butt for prolonged periods of time during the early stages of healing when the transferred fat is trying to live.  The off-loading pillow allows you to sit and return to work or simply relax.   

The sitting/pillow restrictions should be continued for 4 weeks following surgery; and the restrictions are gradually lengthened with each week (see timetable below).  

But Why does it matter?  Because the transplanted fat cells must re-establish blood supply in order to live.  In the first four weeks after surgery, these fat cells are very fragile and susceptible to pressure which can cause cell death or cause the fat to disappear. Therefore, during the 4 week period we encourage patients to avoid sitting.  But (No Pun), if it is absolutely necessary you can sit for certain time intervals (see table below) and/or utilize an off-loading pillow.  

What Type of Specific Pillow?  Any type of pillow works; no "one pillow" has been shown to be better than another. How does an Off-Loading Pillow Work? The pillow is folded and placed behind your knees and under your thighs.  This effectively puts all the pressure on your thighs and "off-loads" pressure on your butt.  This may potentially minimize the cell damage of the transferred fat.  As the potential for cell death is decreased, the potential for surgical results are optimized.  Again, a regular pillow will work; if you are looking for a specific off-loading pillow, examples are:  Booty Buddy®, BBL Pillow®, Booty Mate® etc.   

SITTING PROTOCOL:  I utilize a 4 week sitting protocol.  Again, the 1st week I like you to be off your butt as much as possible in the early stages of healing.  The protocol is:
◦ Week 1: Sitting for the bathroom
◦ Week 2: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow. If you do not have a pillow then: 15-30 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
◦ Week 3: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow.  If you do not have a pillow then:  30-60 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
◦ Week 4: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow.   If you do not have a pillow then:  1-2 hours at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
◦ Week 5:  No Sitting Restrictions.  Sit as usual.  Unless otherwise directed.

RETURN TO WORK:  Most of my patients are back to work in 1 week or less.  Again, I perform a number of these procedure on college students and professionals that sit for the majority of their day.  

ACTIVITY:  After 1 week you can Run/Jog or go to the gym.  Prior to 1 week, I want you walking around as much as possible.

RETURN TO GYM:  After 1 week you can go to the gym.  You can do any upper body work out and/or Run/Jog.  No lower body squats or any activity that requires you to place pressure on your Butt/Gluts (i.e. Leg Press, Back Row etc) until after 4 weeks from surgery. 

Best of Luck!  Please reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
#TopREALSELFDoctor
#CoreREALSELFDoctor
Butt Augmentation Specialist
Liposuction Specialist

An inflatable pillow could be helpful...

When patients undergo brazilian butt lift surgery, it’s important that they avoid sitting or lying on their buttocks for prolonged periods of time.This practice should be continued for at least two to three weeks following surgery.It take time for transplanted fat cells to re-establish blood supply.In the first two weeks following surgery, these fat cells are very fragile and susceptible to pressure which can cause cell death.
During this period we encourage patients to avoid sitting, but if it’s absolutely necessary an inflatable pillow can be utilized.This device distributes pressure evenly and minimizes the potential for cell damage.When these steps are taken, the potential for cell death appears to be minimized and surgical results are optimized.

Booty Buddy

You can sit on the Booty Buddy if you need to sit down for an extended period of time. You should under no circumstances sit directly on your buttock for the first 2-3 weeks following your surgery.

Thank you for your question!  After a BBL, I try to have my patients stay off their butt for 4-6 weeks.  While this is very difficult especially having to go back to work, drive the kids to school, and live life, I think staying off one's butt is very important after surgery.  As a result, we have been using a "buckwheat" pillow that seems to be resilient to a patient's body weight and props their butt up without having direct pressure on the newly operated region.  They have different shapes and sizes.  I recommend the combination of a rectangular shape and a smaller lumbar pillow for added support.  The inflatable pillows seem to still place pressure on regions that I would not recommend.   I hope this helps!!

How To Sit After Brazilian Butt Lift

While it is preferable to not place any pressure on your butt for at least the first week after a Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, sitting for a short ride a week later should not be detrimental if you take appropriate precautions. I recommend any pillow that distributes pressure or prevents specific pressure. A Boppy is excellent. A memory foam pillow will also work.
At my practice, we give detailed instructions for pre-surgical and post-surgical care, activity, diet and supplementation, and expectations for each surgery. This is especially true of a Brazilian Butt Lift, which I consider to be more of a collaboration between surgeon and patient in order to get the desired results.

The BBL Pillow

The Brazilian Butt Lift utilizes your own natural fat for
the augmentation. One of the keys of the
fat transfer is that it is incorporated and becomes your fat just in a better
place!

The key is how do we maximize the amount of fat that is
going “take” or survive for the augmentation.
One of the things that can help increase the amount of fat that stays
after the transfer is preventing any trauma to the buttock area, that includes
sitting. The pressure of sitting can be harmful to the fat for the first couple
of weeks after the transfer.

I typically have patients avoid sitting for two weeks after
the surgery. They can walk and sleep on
their belly, just no sitting. After the
first two weeks they can sit for an hour with a 10 minute break in between
sitting sessions. After six weeks they
can return to all of their normal routines.

There are special pillows that patients can purchase that avoids any pressure
on the buttock in the post-operative period so that they can sit at work and
still protect their fat transfer procedure. One of my favorite pillows for
patient is called the “BBL Pillow”. The
key with these specialized pillows is that all of the weight is on the
posterior thighs and not on the buttock.
The buttock should be hanging off the end of the pillows.

I hope this helps, be sure to discuss this with your board
certified plastic surgeon.

Sitting Post BBL

Thank you for your question! I do not suggest sitting directly on your buttocks 2-3 weeks after surgery.  You will not get the desired results you want! Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel 
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon 
Chicago 
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

A BBL pillow should be used when sitting. It puts the weight on your thighs, and not on your buttocks. There are commercial products that can be purchased online. Booty buddy is one that that works well.

Sitting on buttocks after surgery

You can sit on a donut cushion and limit your car ride to 5 minutes maximum if you need to sit on your buttocks directly.

Recommend Pillow for sitting after Brazilian Butt Lift?

Postoperative strategies after Brazilian butt lift are very important. The specialized garment is involved that avoids too much pressure on the transferred fat. Also sitting on your upper thighs and avoiding direct pressure on the buttock helps. There are special cutout pillows in the shape of a donut that are comfortable and help as well.