Approved for septoplasty

I recently got approved for septoplasty and was told that my insurance will cover it. I also want rhinoplasty, do I have to get it done by the surgeon I was referred too or can I choose my own?

Septoplasty/Rhinoplasty Surgeon

The approval you received for a septoplasty only applies the surgeon that requested it. If you want a rhinoplasty at the same time it would need to be done by the same surgeon, or you would need to see someone else and get a new authorization for that surgeon. 

For some patients with very high insurance deductibles  it may be more economical to pay "cosmetic" rates for the facility fee, and not use you insurance at all. The cosmetic fee for the rhinoplasty includes the septoplasty fee in these cases in my practice.

Septorhinoplasty

You should be able to choose your surgeon, however you will need to check with both the insurance and your surgeon.

Often times the insurance will pay for the septoplasty part, but you may have to pay out of pocket for the cosmetic rhinoplasty part unless it also relates to your breathing.

Talk to a board certified facial plastic surgeon to find out what your options are.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance approval for Septoplasty

It is most important to select the surgeon you feel most comfortable with.  Their office should be able to change the authorization. 

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Prior authorization for septoplasty

In our practice, we pre-authorize all septoplasty procedures with  patient's medical insurance, even if they've had prior authorization by another surgeon. The  pre--authorization follows the surgeon, not the patient. Choose  the surgeon that you would like to have perform both procedures and then have that surgeon do the pre-authorization for medically related septoplasty, after the consultation and examination has been performed.  Medical necessity must be documented at this time. Anticipate paying for the cosmetic component yourself. In addition, there will be co-pays and deductibles applied to the insurance/ septoplasty component, so be prepared for that as well

I need septoplasty but want also a rhinoplasty

If your surgeon is experienced in cosmetic rhinoplasty he may perform both procedures.  If not, you may see a surgeon in your community who is experienced in both.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon