Radiesse Swelling

How long is typical for swelling after Radiesse has been injected?

Post-Radiesse swelling

To be conservative, swelling can last up to a week. However, in many cases, swelling/bruising is gone within four days or sooner.  I caution patients not to book treatments right before an important event, like a wedding or vacation, but to do so two weeks in advance.  Also, it's wise to stop taking aspirin or other blood thinners prior to a Radiesse treatment to reduce swelling.  And, finally, I can't say enough about the value of post-procedure ice packs for the first 48 hours.  The important thing is to recognize that swelling can occur, that everyone reacts differently and to plan ahead!

Radiesse Does swell more than Restylane and Perlane!

Radiesse can sometimes have significant swelling.  It's worse the first night, and then quickly resolves.  Over the next two days it continues to decrease.  If I had an important date, I would give myself at least a week to recover.  I would give myself 6 weeks prior to a wedding, in case I got a significant bruise.

• Try a Hyaluronic Acid filler first like Restylane or Perlane
  • Consider Radiesse if you need more "umph".
  • We've had less swelling since using the micro cannula for Radiesse patients.
  • Radiesse is the best for non-surgical chin augmentation.

Good luck finding information!

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Radiesse

Swelling after any filler may depend on:

1. Location of face, e.g. the tear trough of the upper cheek may swell more than the mid cheek

2. How many injections were needed

3. What size needle was used

4. How much product was used

5. How fast or slow the needle was inserted and the product injected

In general one to two days of swelling can be expected, but it could last even more than a week, and bruising can be minimal to moderate lasting a few days to two weeks. There has been at least one medical study discussing the merits of using Arnica montana, an herb,taken orally, to reduce swelling after facelifts, and this may help with swelling of fillers as well, and may reduce bruising too.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling with fillers

Fillers are injected with a fine needle, and may leave some bruising, discomfort, and swelling.  For the most part, all are mild.  The swelling may last a few days to about a week or so.

Swelling with Radiesse: 3-4 hours, 3-4 days, 3-4 months

This varies tremendously among patients with some showing little or no swelling. This may also be effected by the amount of anesthetic utilized (3-4 hours). Typically most of the acute swelling lasts 3-4 days. However, it is important to realize that it is essentially consists of two primary components: one of which takes about 3-4 monhts months to absorb. This canbe interepreted by some patients as a loss of volume

Swelling varies between individuals

Swelling following Radiesse injections typically lasts anywhere from one day to 2weeka, depending on the individual. I would advise having injections done at least a week in advance of any major events, just to err on the side of caution. 

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse Swelling

Radiesse is less likely to cause swelling than a hyaluronic acid filler and if it does cause swelling it usually for only a day or so.

Suzanne Kilmer, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling from Radiesse

Cooling with ice (never directly on the skin), head elevation, Arnica, Bromelain and Advil after a few days will tend to help with swelling. Typically swelling is mostly resolved within the first week or two for most of my patients.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Radiesse swelling

The swelling after radiesse last a few days to one week in most patients but usually it is not too noticeable. If there is associated bruising then the swelling may be more obvious.  I love radiesse for the cheek area and the swelling in this area actually looks good.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruisestick ointment over Radiesse injections to minimize bruising and swelling

Swelling is usually not long after Radiesse injections. If you are concerned, I would recommend Bruisestick ointment to massage over the area immediately after injection. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS