How long will it take till I see results from Lipo? Should I be on a specific diet after Lipo?

I recently had Lipo on my upper and lower abdominal. I am 1 week post op, however I feel that it is taking long to see change. I've read that it can take up to 3-6 months. I am wondering why? And is this a waste of money.

Results after lipo

Thank you for submitting your question! Benefits mostly peak at 2-3 months and should be maintained with diet, garments, and a healthy lifestyle. 
All the best,Dr. Mentz

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction - how soon to see results? What kind of diet?

• Thank you for your question about your liposuction.
  • Liposuction like all surgery causes swelling within hours of surgery.
  • It takes months for all the swelling to subside -
  • This is a biologic healing process that is hard to change -
  • At times, massage seems to help but often not.
  • It is not a waste of time - but to avoid the fat returning to new areas, now is a great time to start on a new program of more exercise and fewer calories.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lipo results

Many patients see preliminary results within a few weeks and continued improvement over the ensuing months. One week is too early to reach any conclusions as to outcome. Swelling takes time to subside.

One week post op

At one week post liposuction don't get discouraged. Just follow a healthy diet and activity level as able after recovery and allow your body time to heal. You are still so early to see results. Trust in your surgeon and wait for results up to 4-6 months.....

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lipo Recovery

It takes 3-6 months to enjoy the final result because that time is needed to allow swelling to resolve and skin to retract. A solid diet and exercise program will only enhance your result. Hopefully it was not a waste of time! God luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Liposuction results

Most patients can see some results from liposuction right away. There is definitely swelling immediately after the procedure and it can take 6-12 weeks for the majority of it to go down. The final results can take up to six months to appreciate. During the 3-6 month postoperative period the skin may tighten some and the last little bit of swelling should resolve.

Lipo patients and swelling

On the average, most patients will have significant swelling that will be at a maximum for the first 6-8 weeks and then there will be residual swelling for 4-6 months that is much less.