Do I Have Ptosis? One Eye Seems More Closed Than the Other. (photo)

Hi, I am 20 years old and have noticed a problem with my eyes in photographs. I am not sure what is wrong with them. At the beginning of the year I started wearing glasses and contacts. (-1.00). I went back to my photos and it seems in my school photographs my left eye has been slightly smaller since grade 7. I am not sure what is wrong but I have done a bit of research on droopy eyelids.

Doctor Answers 3

Eyelid Ptosis

Your pictures and history demonstrate the presence of a unilateral left sided eyelid ptosis. This situation occurs when the muscles that elevate the eyelid become detached or weakened. This results in the left sided droopy eyelid phenomena that you describe. It's not unusual for this problem to occur unilaterally.

Repair of eyelid ptosis can be performed under general or local anesthesia. A variety of techniques can be utilized to correct this problem. The technique chosen will depend upon the patient's anatomic deformity.

If you're concerned about eyelid ptosis, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to outline a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic deformity and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 194 reviews

20 y.o. with uneven, (droopy?) eyelid

Thank you for the photos. It does look that one is lower than the other.  It sounds by your description that you may have drooping, (ptosis) of the eyelid. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon. they will listen to you and do an exam to see if you need a standard blepharoplasty, or an operation to raise your eyelid.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

If one eye is more closed or droopy than the other, you have ptosis.

Thanks for sharing the photos, they are very helpful. Some are born with weak eyelids that are droopy ( ptosis) . Others notice the increasing droop as they get older. There are many causes and a thorough evaluation by a Plastic Surgeon would be a reasonable first step. Surgery is effective in fixing the problem.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.