Acell + PRP for Hairloss?

I have thin hair since i was a kid , i never needed laser for hair removal but i had very thin hair as i grow up with dieting hair loss increased , now with optimal therapy topical minoxidil and oral vitamins result isnot satisfactory , acell and PRP any recommendation ? Non FDA approved for this use right ? Whats average cost ? On long term stopping treatment will make result revirsible to losing again hair ? Is it done without hair transplant

Acell

I am unaware of any evidence that shows that Acell improves hair transplantation results at the donor or recipient site.  For that reason, I don't offer it unless someone specifically requests it.  Your better option is to see someone who has experience, an eye for the craft, and you can trust that will meet your expectations.  

ACell was FDA approved in 2008. With PRP, it can reverse the hair thinning process long-term, without a hair transplant

Thank you for your question. I understand you’ve had thin hair ever since you were young, and that you experience hair loss that is associated particularly with dieting. You’ve also described some possible therapeutic options which included topical minoxidil and ACell with PRP, in the absence of having a hair transplant. You’ve also expressed concern about FDA approval.

I can certainly help you with your concerns, as I do specialize in treatment of hair loss and have performed hair transplant surgery for over 20 years. I am the founder of TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration centers, which offer a non-surgical hair loss treatment alternative using ACell and PRP in a very specific method which I developed. I’m also a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon.

Let’s begin with the FDA’s role in medical practice. The United States FDA regulates drugs and devices, and, through rigorous proof and testing of safety and other things, allows the use of certain drugs and devices. The FDA, however, does not regulate medical practice, nor does it interfere with the physician’s authority to give their patients the best treatment. In fact, in the FDA Modernization Act of 1997, the FDA is actually prohibited from interfering with a physician’s ability to treat their patients.

I think the confusion lies in the term “off-label use”, which people often misinterpret to mean “experimental”. This is an incorrect assumption. What it actually means is that once a drug or device is approved for use on people in the United States, doctors have the flexibility to use the said drug without having to disclose to patients what the drug or device is FDA-approved for.

For example, Botox is FDA-approved specifically for use on the glabella or the number 11 lines. However, we use Botox everywhere: for crow’s feet, smile lines, and even underarm sweating. We use it for a number of indications, because as physicians we have the authority to use a drug or device to help our patients, and it isn’t considered experimental.

In addition to this, the practicalities of getting FDA approval for every single indication is just not possible considering the number of applications of any given drug or device. FDA approval gives certain permission to a level, but in no way does it affect how a doctor uses a drug or device. For example, ACell is a wound-healing material that has been FDA-approved for human use since 2008. It is used commonly in general surgery and gynecologic surgery. In my practice, I use it for cosmetic and reconstructive procedures. As you can see, there are a lot of different ways to use this material, so it is completely within reason for a physician to use ACell for hair loss treatment.

There are some ignorant physicians and plastic surgeons who often irresponsibly misuse the term FDA approval, regardless of whether it’s for ACell or PRP, and it is our duty as doctors to properly inform patients and not use terms inappropriately. If you are considering ACell plus PRP, don’t let the absence of a specific FDA approval for hair loss get in your way.

In my practice, we have been using ACell and PRP in a treatment we call Hair Regeneration for our company TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration. We use this to treat pattern hair loss in both men and women and it has been very effective. We usually do a single treatment, but for those with more advanced hair loss, we can do a second treatment based on that particular individual’s response. We’ve had to really work hard to develop an algorithm based on experience of hundreds to thousands of patients over several years, to a point where we can say that we have enough data and volume to show that the results are sustainable for at least three to five years.

The Hair Regeneration treatment is considerably more sustainable than a hair transplant because no surgery is involved. In addition, hair transplants do not stop the progression of hair loss and the donor area itself is limited. We are currently using Hair Regeneration has a long-term solution for hair loss.

The key here is proper diagnosis. It is very important that what you are experiencing is pattern hair loss. Though we have used this treatment for other medical conditions, we’ve had consistently great results in pattern hair loss patients, with more than 99% of male patients and more than 90% of female patients responding very well. The bottom line is, as long as your hair is thinning, it’s a genetic pattern-based issue, and hair is still present, we can treat pattern hair loss with ACell and PRP, or what we call Hair Regeneration in our practice.

I recommend that you look for doctors who perform this treatment and learn more. I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acell or PRP will not help with a scar on you scalp. PRP or ACell is not FDA approved. There is no long term treatment for ge

Acell or PRP will not help with a scar on you scalp. PRP or ACell is not FDA approved. There is no long term treatment for genetic hair loss.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Acell and PRP

PRP and ACell as a treatment for thinning hair has shown very promising results, although you are correct that it is not FDA approved. This treatment is ideal for those with thinning hair, rather than total loss. We often suggest to our patients a multiple modality approach including topical and oral treatments in addition to the PRP/ACell injections.

Unfortunately, the results of the treatment are not permanent and do require maintenance. The normal aging process still takes place and any underlying, untreated medical conditions will continue to affect the hair.

PRP/ACell treatments can be used in conjunction or separate from a hair transplant.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss Treatment issues

PRP for hair loss is effective if the follicles are not scarred and some small hairs are present. It is NOT FDA approved and probably will never be. No company will spend the money without a financial incentive.The average cost at our center is $400 per session for the injections.
As with any genetic problem, if you stop the treatment, will fall out again. It can be done with or without active or previous transplants.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP non invasive hairloss treatment

PRP or platelet rich plasma treatments are a great option for men and women in their late 30-50s who are looking to help with hair thinning.  It works best for individuals who know that hair thinning or hair loss runs in their family and want to be proactive about treatment.  PRP uses our own blood plasma concentrated with platelets.  These platelets contain growth factors and proteins that help stimulate hair growth.  Treatments generally take 45 minutes to perform.  A simple blood draw is preformed on the arm and is centrifuged to make the PRP which is then injected back into the scalp.  Patients will be numbed with lidocaine injections to help with the discomfort with the procedure.  The cost could vary depending on the area you live. We charge patients $825 per treatment which includes a 3 month regimen of at home care to maintain their treatment. We have had great success with these treatments in our patients.  Most patients notice improvement in 2 weeks up to 6 months.

Aurora Badia, DO
Fort Myers Dermatologist