Can You Get a Professional Facial As Well As Botox Done on the Same Day?

Botox is fine on days you have a facial

The only caveat is that the facial is done first.  After Botox, I tell my clients to avoid strenuous activity, avoid putting yourself in a horseshoe for a massage, avoid hot tubs and saunas, and caps for 3 hours.

Can You Get a Professional Facial As Well As Botox Done on the Same Day? Yes, But Botox Comes After

It is quite common to receive a number of cosmetic dermatologic treatments on the same day when you are being injected with Botox. It's important to remember, however, that Botox takes a few hours to settle into the muscle it is meant to affect. Therefore, you cannot manipulate your skin for several hours after injection (or to be safer, 24 hours). That means that Botox is injected a day or more before all massages, facials, laser treatments, microdermabrasian, chemical peels, etc.. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist who has many years' experience with injecting Botox as an anti-aging treatment to get the best results. 

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial and Botox? Facial Comes First

It is perfectly fine to get a facial and Botox on the same day, but you absolutely must do the facial first. After Botox has been injected into dynamic muscles, it needs a few hours to settle. Manipulating the face could disperse the Botox into places where you would not want it. Please visit a board-certified dermatologist for a consultation to find out how Botox and facials can help keep age at bay.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Facials before Botox

Yes, my patients do this combination of treatments every day. The only thing is I have them do the facial first and then the Botox injections due to no laying down for up to four hours after injections.

Dennis Gross, MD

Facial first

If you have the facial first, then it should be okay. Rubbing and touching the general areas treated with Botox can increase the risk of spreading to undesirable areas, which is why the facial must be done first.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Facial and Botox concurrently

There are some concerns with displacing the Botox from vigorous facial manipulation. I generally do not see a problem with the facial first an Botox second. However, I would not do this the other way around.

Botox and Facials

If you want to have a facial and a Botox treatment on the same day, you need to have the facial first. The massage during the facial would move the Botox around causing surrounding muscles to be affected. Therefore, by having the facial first you can avoid the risk of unintended spread of the Botox.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Facial before (not after) Botox is safe

I would agree with my colleagues that a facial treatment prior to Botox/ Dysport injection is safe. I would advise you to avoid a facial immediately after Botox/ Dysport treatment as this can result in excessive spread or diffusion of the product.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedures with Botox

Yes, it is fine to have a facial and Botox on the same day.  I would suggest the facial first and then the Botox.  We frequently do chemical peels and Botox at the same visit to the office.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox and facials on the same day okay if facial comes first

There are many patients in our office that get multiple procedures on the same day.  The key to this is making sure they are done in the right order, so that you get the maximum benefit you are trying to achieve.

Facials may include massage, lymphatic drainage, or other muscle movement, and are done lying down. For these reasons I do not recommend getting a facial immediately after having Botox. If you do the facial first, you can do Botox the same day.  Any skin care product or treatment left on from the facial will be removed from areas to be injected. 

Alan M. Gardner, MD
Atlanta Dermatologist