Procedure to Fix Uneven Top Lip Due to Accident?

I busted my top lip open during a football game, and then I had it stitched together. However, 2 years passed and I have an uneven top lip, it has notched upwards, and I want to know what can be done to resolve it. It just really gets me down and I am so self conscious about it.

Thank you

Doctor Answers 4

Lip augmentation in Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lip scar revision or lip fillers can help realign and improve the upper and lower lips after an accident or laceration. Our office specializes in lip repair. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Lip Unevenness after Accident

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The face and lips are a very unforgiving area when dealing with injuries and sutures. It sounds like your lip shape has changed based on the way it was injured and healed. Without seeing you (or seeing photos) I can't tell what treatment would be best for you. If you have extensive scar tissue, it may be an injection of a steroid. If it is a scar of some sort, you could benefit from a laser. If it's unevenness, a filler might be a good option for creating symmetry. I recommend either posting photos or seeing a doctor in your area. Best of luck! 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD, FAAD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Your lip scar might benefit from an Injectable Filler treatment.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your lip is "notched upward" after trauma, this may be correctable with an injectable filler treatment. By putting volume in the notched area, you might gain improvement in your appearance. Feel free to post / email me a photo, and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 429 reviews

Procedure to fix uneven top lip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sounds like the wound contraction may have lifted your upper lip. There is a scar revision technique called the Z-plasty that can lengthen the tissue of the upper lip to lower that particular area that has contracted. I would consult with a head & neck or facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.