Why am I still draining 3 months after mastectomy? I still have drain but feel some in leaking into my body. Is this normal?

Draining after mastectomy

Most drains are removed after 2 or 3 weeks post mastectomy because the drainage has slowed sufficiently at that point for the body to absorb the remaining fluid,and the risk of drain induced infection increases with time. 3 months is definitely unusual. Talk with your doctor. If you do not get a satisfactory answer, get a second opinion from another physician. I am not sure what exact procedure you had or the amount of fluid still draining, but removing the drain, despite the drainage, or even reexploration of the wound with excision of theseroma cavity may be indicated. Good luck and take care.

Drain at 3 months.

Unfortunately, not enough information is given. A drain at 3 months is the exception rather than the rule, but if you had a post operative seroma or fluid collection, this might be expected.
This question would best be addressed by your plastic surgeon.
Good luck!

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Drain after 3 months?

More details about your issue need to be known. What type of surgery did you have?  Was a drain put back in for a seroma?  Hard to say without more details. Best to discuss with your surgeon.