Can I have a preventative mastectomy while pregnant?

I need to get a double mastectomy for preventative reasons and i just found out i am 1-2 weeks pregnant

Mastectomy timing

I appreciate your question.

If it is truly a prophylactic mastectomy, I would wait until after you deliver.

The best way to assess and give true advice would an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your pregnancy.  
If you are contemplating a mastectomy for prophylactic measures then I would recommend postponing your mastectomy surgery until after your delivery and possible breast feeding period.  It is best for your baby's health to postpone any elective surgery until after delivery not just  the mastectomy.  I would encourage you to discuss this further with your OB/GYN doctor.

This is a tough one.

Surgery in the first trimester is generally undertaken only when absolutely necessary such as cancer, trauma, acute appendicitis, etc. your baby is most vulnerable at this point and elective surgery should ideally be deferred. 

This is something you need to discuss with your primary care physician, OBGYN, oncologist, genetics counselor, surgeon, anesthesiologist and your family.

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Mastectomy while pregnant

Current wisdom would certainly side with waiting until you have delivered the baby.  Since the mastectomy is not contemplated in the management of aggressive breast cancer, the risk to your baby's well being would be too great.  Particularly in this early period of your baby's growth in utero, every precaution should be taken to ensure normal progress. Contact your obstetrical health care provider regarding stresses to be avoided during preganancy.