Does restylane move around?

I just for restylane injected in my nasolabial folds and the area around my mouth (which I did not really want the outer corners of mouth and area around depressor muscles because I already have saggy skin around mouth and didnt wan to add even more volume around this area) for some reason the nurse convinced me to get it there anyways but when I got home I got worried and started massaging this area upward. So will it move around and did I just do something to make it even worse?

Massaging after Fillers

You can smooth out bumps after fillers but you most likely will not move the product if you massage it later.  Best, Dr. Green

Massaging after filler

Massaging the treated areas after fillers will not likely cause any change in the placement of fillers such as restylane.  Some physicians advocate it to smooth out bumps and lumps; however, vigorous massage my increase the risk of more bruising.  Swelling may be masking some of the end results; however, excessive volume placed at the corner of the mouth can cause more sagging in some patients.  Make a follow up in 2 weeks to evaluate your results.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Perlane is a hyaluronic acid derived gel

Thank you for sharing your concerns.

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Belotero, Restylane, and Juvederm can be dissolved with Vitrase. I would wait 2 weeks and if you don't like the cosmetic outcome, seek dissolution by an expert.

Dr Karamanouokian

You are probably swollen

Thank you for sharing your question. Restylane does not migrate, but massaging it will cause a local spread. See an oculofacial surgeon who is an experienced injector in a couple of weeks if you are still unhappy with the results. At this point, you are probably swollen and may look great in a week. Good luck.

Restylane and Swelling/Infection/Over Fill

Restylane is an HA filler and can be removed. I suggest waiting 1-2 weeks until you can see the actual result. If you are concerned please find an expert cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in filler. Best, Dr. Emer

Does restylane move around?

Restylane certainly can be massaged to help spread it around but it typically doesn't migrate far from the injection site. The only way to know if you altered things is to go see your injector. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC