Can lip injections or Botox around the mouth make nasolabial folds worse? (Photo)

So I got 20 units of botox along my jaw, DAO, and chin (20 all together). I also got .5 cc of juvederm in my upper lip. its been 2 weeks and my nasolabial folds are worse than before. Is this because of the increased lip volume? could the botox around my mouth be causing my smile muscles to work harder? It also looks very bulky like I'm retaining water Around my mouth. What could be causing this? thanks

Botox and fillers in the lower face

Thank you for your question brookelove90. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox and fillers can be used to enhance the face. When treating my patients, I have them return at two weeks after an injectable treatment once swelling has subsided to take standardized after photographs and assess the results. It is obviously impossible to assess a result without having pictures with which to compare them. Sometimes when one area is filled another area that requires enhancement becomes more pronounced. Again this is best assessed with high quality standardized before and after photographs. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Nasolabial fold injection

with all the muscles in the lower part of your face relaxed and the lips being larger the nasolabial folds are looking more prominent and it is easily corrected by having Juvederm injected in that area. Be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox injection and nasolabial folds

I do not believe it is possible for Botox injection around the mouth to worsen the nasolabial folds. However, if filler was misplaced into the lateral aspect of the nasolabial fold or the crow's feet were injected with Botox to low on the face, it is possible to see worsening of the nasolabial fold. Your lips appear somewhat full for 2 weeks post procedure. I recommend you discuss your results with an experienced injector during an in-person consultation. Sorry to hear about your experience.