I want to cancel breast augmentation! What should I do?

Ive paid all the surgeons fees ($4500 total) for my BA scheduled 4 weeks away. I've only been considering a BA for a few months. One thing led to another and here I am scheduled for surgery! I don't hate my boobs, and I never wear pushup bras. I feel like I regret this decision already but the paperwork I signed says that there are no refunds given after the pre op appointment! I am trying to talk myself into this and get excited, but I really don't want to go through with it. What should I do?

I want to cancel breast augmentation...........

most surgeons would take an empathetic view of your situation but the only way that you can find this out is to see your surgeon again and tell him or her your concerns.

Perth Plastic Surgeon

Want to Avoid Surgery

Thank you for your question.  Please sit down with your surgeon and let him or her know your feelings.  An ethical surgical should replace a large portion of the money and would never do surgery on someone who was apprehensive.  They may keep a small bit of your deposit due to the fact that time has already been spent working with the team.  Hoping the best for you.

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Well this is a no brainer to me. If you are feeling apprehensive about having an operation then there is no way I would ever go through with it. What do you do? Exactly what you did here, sit down with your surgeon and be honest. I do not know many surgeons with good ethics that would not honor your not wanting to have surgery and not refund most or all of your money. I do have a 500 dollar booking fee in my office and for the most part patients forfeit that if they cancel within a certain time period, but a month out your surgeon should be ok with that. I do allow my patients to put 500 dollars towards other treatments and who doesn't want a facial, or skin care products, or even some other injectable treatment. But, at the end of the day everyone has a policy. Again, ASAP you need to tell your surgeon and I think you will be surprised. Do this when your head is right, that is really a no brainer from my standpoint. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Don't have the surgery if you don't want it

and if you're a month out, most surgeons would refund your fee if the time can be filled with another procedure.  But the worst thing you can do is have a procedure you do not want.   Talk to your surgeon and sort through your feels now (not 2 weeks down the road) and if you really don't want surgery, work with your surgeon on getting a refund and if hitting roadblocks due to the 'non-refundable' fee, look to make sure it isn't for surgery because if it is and you used your credit card, you can obtain a refund through your credit card for services not rendered.  And the figure out why you did what you did and try to learn from it so it won't be repeated in the future.

Curtis Wong, MD

Cancel surgery

With four weeks before surgery I think you can make your case to the surgeon, not an employee, and probably get a significant refund. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Canceling BA

we don't force surgery.  If you do not want it and have second thoughts, just speak to your surgeon.  In good faith and ethics, as a board certified physician, he/she should offer your monies back, especially this far in advance when you have so many concerns.  It's merely a matter of doing the appropriate thing for the patient, and your concerns and change of mind, are both reasonable and deserve to be addressed.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Look at the paperwork you signed

Every practice is different but in most cases the majority of the surgical fee would be refundable if you cancel within 4 weeks.  Your surgeon may have more strict financial policies which should be clearly defined in the paperwork that you signed but one thing is sure, the sooner you inform your surgeon you are having second thoughts the more likely you are to get your fees returned.  Call your surgeon's office TODAY and relay your feelings.

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I think that you have received good advice here. You should certainly not move ahead with the breast surgery until you are quite certain that it is the right operation for you. The sooner you communicate with your plastic surgeon's office, the more likely that you will receive a full refund. Best wishes. 

Cancelling unwanted surgery.

Greetings,

Get on the phone, call your plastic surgeon, and make an appointment to cancel your surgery and discuss the possibility of a refund.

In our practice, we do not penalize patients for their change of heart!  The only monies we do not return are the credit card discount and fees, or the finance company fees our practice has already paid (these are not refundable to us).

Although your contract may say otherwise, ultimately your surgeon can accommodate your refund (especially this far in advance). There is no substitute for the goodwill that a reasonable resolution can create.

Good luck with your visit to your plastic surgeon.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Cancellation of surgery

I would suggest that you contact your surgeon as soon as possible to discuss your concerns and make an appeal for some kind of refund, which would be reasonable at this point.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS