How can I fix lines created by lip injections? (photos)

I had .5 cc of juvederm injected into my upper lip only. 3 days later there is an indent on the side of my lip. There has always been a small crease here but now its much deeper and very visible. I think it looks very odd. my smile lines seem to have gotten alot worse. Is this because the lips are larger and are now pushing the skin (around my mouth) outward?is this created by a shadow making the lines appear deeper? how can I fix this? more filler in these lines? filler in cheek? thanks

Lip Injections and Wrinkles

I would wait two weeks since there may be swelling still and you can't evaluate the area. If it still looks wrinkles you can have a small amount of filler placed there to correct.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Wait 2 weeks and if it is still swollen consider reversal or more filler to give the appropriate contour. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling/Asymmetry After Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  After 2 weeks, if you continue to have any concerns please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation to fully address your concerns.  Additional filler may be required to achieve your desired result.  Best wishes! 

Touching up a lip augmentation injection

Lip augmentation was the fastest growing injectable procedure in 2015. 

It is a rewarding in-office procedure, but you should know how it is different from other filler injections.

1. The lips swell - just poking the lip with a needle will make it swell and bruise.
2. The lips swell unevenly - especially when correcting asymmetry.
3. The initial swelling goes down in the first 3 days and may look like you had nothing done. 
4. The swelling goes down unevenly (one side before the other).
5. It takes 2 weeks for the end result to be visible.

I like to start conservatively and touch-up the result after two weeks. It is a better option than overfilling the lips. You can dissolve excess filler, but it can rarely be done precisely. Usually, all of the filler is goes away and you have to start over again. I also take photographs so I can objectively compare the lips before and after treatment. Be sure to review the consent form completely and ask any questions before the injection. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lines after lip filler

Your lips may still be swollen, so I would wait a full two weeks before judging the results. That being said, it is fairly common for a vertical line to show up in this location after lip fillers. The treatment is to just add a little more filler to smooth it out.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lines after Juvederm

Thank you for your question. The indent that you are referring to is a natural separation between the middle and the side of the lip - there is some firm tissue that causes this indent. It tends to worsen with age, and sometimes it can be a little difficult to smooth out with filler because the tissue tends to stay put. Still, I would give everything some time to settle. It's normal for the surrounding skin and tissue to swell and this is likely causing the worsening smiles lines. If after 10 days you still feel like things don't look as good as you would like, you can ask your injector for more filler (you should have some left) to be placed in that indent, and in your smile lines. Best of luck!