Hole in tummy tuck incision (photo)

I am 8 weeks po tummy tuck and today noticed a small hole forming on my incision?? I can't see a stitch . Really concerned I haven't had any problems so far. Thanks!

Small hole post op

It looks like a little stitch abscess. Keep an eye on it but best to go back to your surgeon if the stitch does not come out.

TT incision healing issues

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture it look like stitch abscess and it will heal, if not just need to pull the stitch and it will heal fine. Please talk to your PS.

Hole in incision line

The most likely cause of the opening is a deep stitch that needs to be removed by your surgeon. Once the stitch is removed in the office the opening will close.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Hole in tummy tuck incision

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  This appears to be a localized area of irritation and infection caused by a retained suture that should be removed in your doctors office to allow this to fully heal.  It should not materially affect your incision's long term appearance.  Hope this helps!

Hole in tummy tuck incision.

The common cause for such spots is dissolving sutures even if you cannot see one. Keep the area clean and cover with antibiotic ointment and let your surgeon have a look.

Hole in tummy tuck incision

It is likely that the cause of your hole is a buried suture.  Let your plastic surgeon know and he/she can address it in their office.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Incision

Hi hecaa005. Thanks for your question. Based on your photograph, it looks like you are "spitting a stitch", meaning your body is breaking down the internal absorbable sutures placed during closure of your abdominoplasty incision. I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon in person so they can evaluate you, and provide reassurance. Hope this helps.

Best of Luck,

DWB