What can I do to get rid of the roundness in the stomach area and the wide waistline and stomach pouch? (Photo)

I had breast cancer about 10 years ago, my doctor took out the muscle from stomach area to create my left breast, but now my stomach has a pouch and my waist line is large for my size , went to a consultant physician to see if I could get something done about it, was told it was stomach fat behind the muscle, so the answer was no , is there really nothing that can be done, or is there something I could do my self to loose this gut and shrink my waist line.

Bulgy stomach after muscle flap to chest

Thank you for asking about your abdomen.

• If you are overweight, your stomach will definitely shrink as you lose weight.
  • But if the muscle is weak because of your prior surgery, you may not be able to get a flat stomach even after weight loss -
  • So to be sure what is best, lose the weight first, and then if your stomach is still too bulgy, abdominal surgery might be possible to help you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What can I do to get rid of the roundness in the stomach area and the wide waistline and stomach pouch?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately without an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice as intervention will depend on the status of your abdominal wall after your rectus muscle was used for reconstruction.  If your abdominal wall has weakened it can stretch and create a bulge appearance.  If the integrity of your muscle fascia is intact your appearance may be the result of visceral fat - the fat around your internal organs which can only be treated with diet and exercise.  Hope this helps. 

Shrinking the Waistline

I recommend a consultation with an expert in body contouring to determine what would be best for you. We do hi definition liposuction at the same time as tummy tuck and get amazing results. There are also non-invasive options that can help tighten and tone the area, if you're not a candidate.  I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

I suspect

That what the doctor was telling you is that the "fat" you're bothered by is intraabdominal meaning that its wrapping your organs and isn't accessible by liposuction. This fat will go with diet and exercise but isn't something treated with liposuction or cosmetic procedures. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon