Will lowering my hairline drastically effect my hair (thickness etc). Will the scars on side of head be covered? (photos)

I am nervous about my decision to get hairline lowering surgery bc I keep reading reviews about losing hair & having your hair thin. I love my hair it's very thick and long with no extensions etc & I dont want it to be ruined or look different. I also am nervous about the scars on the side of the head because I like to wear my hair up in a pony regularly. I want a smaller forehead bc I do think it takes away from my face but am concerned about hair/scar issues and want to make sure its worth it!

Will Lowering My Hairline Effect Hair Thickness or Cause Visible Scars

In a patient with thick hair the change in hair density will be insignificant if the hairline is advanced. The hairline incision is camouflaged using the Irregular Trichphytic Hairline Incision technique that we described many years ago so the patient has total freedom of hair styling. With hair transplants no scars will be seen. If you select this technique work with a very experienced transplant surgeon who shows you excellent results in other patients because it is difficult to achieve normal uniform density with this approach.

It is best to see a doctor for an examination and consultation if you are considering surgery to address your hair line. Photos

It is best to see a doctor for an examination and consultation if you are considering surgery to address your hair line.  Photos are helpful but it does not show if you would be a candidate for surgery. 

Some people may scar more than others and the scars on the side of the head may show in certain cases.  

You have to understand and weigh out the risks and benefits of such surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Female hairline

There are two ways to achieve the results you are looking for.  One is hairline lowering by physically moving the scalp forward, then removing a section of scalp followed by tacking/suturing it in place.   This will result in a surgical scar at the hairline which can be corrected with a second procedure to put grafts into the surgical scar.   The other choice is a hair transplant to create a new lowered hairline.  Both procedures have their advantages and disadvantages.  Please see our website for more details.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning hair with hairline lowering

Every type of hair transplantation or scalp advancement surgery has to microscopically make the hair undetectably thinner. The scalp hair is stretched one way or the other or small scars are present in the donor area  (FUE) . The hair has to come from somewhere on your scalp. If the hair is thick at the front and the hair direction grows forward, there is an ideal situation for an undetectible scar and a result that can be appreciated a few days after surgery. Our use of the endotine keeps the hair in the very front of the scalp from stretching and thinning. Transplants require two sessions to get the density women need and at least a year to have an appreciable result. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon