Hypertrophic Scars After Breast Lift? (photo)

what can I do?

Hypertrophic Breast Lift Scars Best Treated with IPL and Laser

Thank you for your email.  I am very sorry to see the scarring in your photographs and can imagine your frustration.  Fortunately there are modern methods for reducing hypertrophic scarring which I believe can significantly improve the appearance of your scars.

The redness of your hypertrophic scars can be reduced with IPL, intense pulsed light or photo facial treatment.  You will require 3 treatments scheduled about a month apart.

The bulk and lumpiness of the hypertrophic scars can be significantly reduced using Non-ablative 1540 fractional erbium laser treatments.  The 1540 non-ablative fractional erbium laser is a newer technology and may not be widely available however there are also 1550 non-ablative erbium laser treatments which can also help. 

Personally I do not recommend steroid injections such as Aristocort because they cause fat atrophy and proliferation of red blood vessels on the surface of the skin.

In my opinion the 1540 laser and IPL treatments are a much safer and more effective solution for hypertrophic scarring.  Please see the link below to see some clinical examples

Recent surgical scars in general can still be improved significantly for most. Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips in the below link:

Hypertrophic scars after breast lift?

Hello! Thank you for your question. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Hypertrophic scars

Hypertrophic scars can very frustrating to treat. Options range from simple silicone sheeting and massage to steroid injections, lasers, and scar revisions. The most common reason for hypertrophic scarring is an increase in tension. However, some patients simply tend to build bigger scars. Attempting to improve with massage and silicone sheeting is a simple first option. If the scar hypertrophy persists after 6 months to a year, a scar revision is recommended.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar management

First you should ask your plastic surgeon about his/her specific recommendations.  I usually start scar massage therapy 5-6 weeks after surgery.  I generally recommend a silicone based scar cream.   But to be honest, its not the cream or ointment that matters, its actually the mechanical massaging of your scars.  The theory is that the mechanical massaging helps to break up "scar tissue."   Continue pressure on your scar has been shown to help as well.  This can also include silicone gel strips.  Please talk to your PS about his/her recommendations.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Scars post lift

I would try conservative therapy suchas kenalog injections.If they do not repsond then I would re excise and inject kenalog at the time of revision.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Options for hypertrophic scar

If the breast lift was soon fairly recently, you should do scar massage with silicone-based cream and avoid Sun.  If it has been over 3 months, steroid injection will help to flatten the scar.  If the surgery has been done over a year, IPL laser can help.  Revision surgery is an option; however, it may recur again.

Yes you haste minor hypertrophic scars. Best to try scar creams or silicone sheets, than IP{L lasers, than steroid injections. 

Hypertrophic scars after Breast Lift

I am curious to how far out you are from surgery.  If less than 6 months, I would recommend aggressive scar massage, silicone, and possibly a steroid injection. 

If beyond 6 months or no response, I would recommend IPL and a nonablative laser.   If this does not show response, then a scar revision would be recommended.

I wish you a safe recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Keloids of Breast Scars

Thank you for your pictures.  Your keloids can be revised.  The closure of the scar revision must be tension free.  Tension or pull on the incision can produce wider scars.  

Dr. ES