How to sleep after liposuction on midsection

Can I sleep on my stomach or should I stay on my back? I just had liposuction today and I am swollen and sore. What position should I sleep in please?

Sleeping and liposuction

you can sleep on your back or sides.  Please speak to your physician as to the best options.  Dr. Emer.

Positioning for sleep after liposuction.

In my own practice I permit patients to sleep in whatever position makes the most comfortable. Your own surgeon may have some restriction so it's best to get your instructions from the office.

Sleeping after liposuction

Congratulations on your procedure! A good night's sleep is important for your recovery. Sleeping position depends usually on where on your body you had liposuction. I would recommending checking with your surgeon to see if they have any restrictions for you. Compression garments are a great way to help reduce edema and help with the healing and recovery process. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, MMT

Marissa Tenenbaum, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after liposuction

We generally ask patients to check with their plastic surgeon to see what they recommend in regards to aftercare. For my patients I have no limitations on what position they sleep in after liposuction.

Basically whatever is comfortable.

Sometimes patients use recliners or multiple pillows to make their sleeping position more comfortable.

Best of luck getting a good nights sleep,

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Sleeping position

So long as you are wearing your compression garment, in my opinion it really makes no difference what position you sleep in. Choose the least uncomfortable position for you.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Back is best. But better to call your operative surgeon fr ALL these postop issues. Follow ONLY his/her postop rules & instructions NOT OURS!

Sleeping

You should be using a compression garment even for sleep.  Try to find the most comfortable position.  It should be fine to sleep on your tummy if this is comfortable.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after liposuction

Hello and thank you for reaching out. I would suggest not sleeping on your stomach until your a little further out in your healing time. On your back is ok, but I would try a recliner for the first couple of nights, or propped in your bed at a 45 degree angle. Consult your surgeon for specific directions. Best Wishes.

Sleeping post-liposuction

Hello. I hope you are feeling well. With liposuction to the abdomen, keeping your abdomen flat and crease-free will help your recovery. Sleeping on your back with your abdomen flat with a slight elevation is best. You can use pillows in bed behind your back and head or a sleep in a recliner. Sleeping on your side can cause abnormal swelling, contour abnormalities, and fluid pockets. Hope you sleep well.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Follow your surgeon’s instructions and listen to your body.

Thank you for your question. The person best qualified to answer this question is your plastic surgeon because he or she knows what was done during your procedure and how you should sleep for proper healing. With that said, I would generally say you can sleep on your stomach after liposuction, provided you are wearing compression garments while you rest and this position is comfortable for you. As a general rule after any cosmetic procedure, you should listen to your body. If it’s uncomfortable or painful, don’t do it.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon