What can be done about the loose skin after cool sculpting?

I am a 56 year old female in great shape. I exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet. I am 5'6" and weigh 126lbs. Will cool sculpting help, (I can pinch 2" on inner thighs). I also have had a hip replacement and wonder if the scar would be an issue, I had an anterior approach done.

Options for loose skin following CoolSculpting

Dear susanjd23:

CoolSculpting (CS) is tried and true in using cooling to produce limited fat reduction where a pinch of skin can be suctioned properly into the applicator. We have found none of cases to have more skin and most of our cases to have mild to moderate skin shrinkage. CoolSculpting will not tighten skin.

Without photos and in particular an in-person consultation, it is hard to anticipate your results. Even liposuction for fat reduction will deflate the skin and leave some laxity. In both options, CS and lipo you may consider ThermiTIGHT as an option to improve skin shrinkage but I would not expect 2 inches worth; you would need skin removal. I do not anticipate the scar to be troublesome. 

Please obtain a consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to provide proper evaluation and those options which fit you best. I hope this has been helpful. All the best!

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting does not tighten skin. If you are interested, I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. An in-person assessment is always best. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Loose Skin At Young Age -- venus legacy, thermage, sculptra, thermiRF, hi def liposuction

We often do hi definition VASER liposuction to get improvement or thermiRF, ultherapy, or thermage.  Sometimes skin removal is needed. I suggest posting pictures or seeing a body contouring expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Inner thighs

Thank you for your question regarding CoolSculpting.  The inner thighs can be a tricky area.  If the pinchable area is fatty tissue that fits within the confines of the applicator, CoolSculpting may be a great option for you.  If you have more of a skin issue, I would recommend exploring other options.  The best way to find an answer is to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss options.  

Carmen Kavali, MD

CoolSculpting & Loose Skin

CoolSculpting is a procedure that can and does reliably remove 22%-25% of a fat pad.  It most definitely can help you with the excess fat on your inner thighs.  CoolSculpting does not treat loose skin and is not approved to advertise that it does however I have noticed a trend with my patients that there is slight improvement in skin laxity in the treatment area.

Best of luck to you!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Yes coolsculpting will help treat fat that you can pinch. Make sure you find a clinic that has a lot of experience with this technology, preferably one that is under the direction of a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting with hip replacement

There is no problem with the hip replacement. Surprisingly, there are very few issues with loose skin after Coolsculpting. It seems that the skin tightens somewhat after the procedure. If it is an issue, RF devices will probably tighten enough for your satisfaction, like Exilis or Venus systems.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

CoolSculpting

You would need an in-person consultation and evaluation by an experienced CoolSculpting physician to know whether the treatment would benefit you or not. In general, CoolSculpting can work very well when treating the inner thighs on appropriate candidates. If you have existing loose skin then the treatment should not make it any worse. There are different options (surgical and non-surgical) for treatment of loose skin. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon