Is PicoSure Able To Fully Remove Tattoos? (photo)

Hello, I have a large, colourful, somewhat dense, partial half sleeve tattoo and I'm looking into removal with Picosure. I know that laser tattoo removal isn't a guarantee but... if Picosure is better for stubborn colours and can get rid of inks that were no longer responding to regular nano-second lasers, then does this mean that Picosure is able to "fully remove" all tattoos? Except those being white ink or on people with darker skin tones. Thanks!!

Multiple lasers may be needed for colorful tattoos

PicoSure is a great laser for removing certain colors, but if your tattoo is very colorful you will most likely require a combination of lasers to try to fully remove it. Different ink colors respond better to different laser wavelengths, so if your tattoo has many colors it would be impossible to treat with just one laser. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist for an in-person consultation to come up with a custom treatment plan. 

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

PicoLaser can treat most tattoos very well, but some can be stubborn

No doctor can guarantee that a tattoo will be removed 100% and although I have never used a laser more effective than the PicoLaser and have been very happy with my results in the last two + years of use, I have had a couple of patients whose tattoos have been stubborn and had required more treatments than most patients and it is conceivable that some tattoos won't respond well. As long as there is some improvement, then further treatment is recommended. Laser parameters can be adjusted with subsequent visits based on the results of the prior treatment.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. 

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Removal of a Tattoo With PicoSure

We have had great success with the PicoSure laser. Full removal of a tattoo depends on many factors like colors, patient's ethnicity and location. If the tattoo has multiple colors then a combination of laser may have to be used. Different ink colors respond to different wavelengths. I recommend to go for in person consultation to get a treatment plan.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Pico the next leap in technology but not all colours will respond

Picosure is the next quantum leap in lasers but remember its only an alex laser with a specific wavelength of 755nm- great for stubborn greens, and blacks, but it will NOT remove all colours. As you know tattooist layer and blend colours in a tattoo, and transitions in a sleeve in commonly seen. Some colours will respond, some will not. 
Hope is around the corner, as more specific pico lasers will be available- including Candela's pico laser with dual wavelengths. 

Laser technology can not keep up with the multitude of inks on the market today...

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

PiccoSure will not be able to remove all tattoos.

PiccoSure is an extremely short-pulsed Alexandrite laser (red light).  The color of the light and the pulse duration are both important.  There are some colors of ink that may not be able to be completely removed by any of the current tattoo removal laser technology including PiccoSure.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Full Tattoo Removal with Picosure

The PicoSure™ Laser is able to completely remove colored and black tattoos which was proven in the clinical trials used for FDA submission.  Clearance varies depending on the type of tattoo ink used, depth of placement, patient response, location, size and other factors.  At Hall Plastic Surgery and Rejuvenation Center in Austin, Texas we are treating a number of colorful sleeve tattoos.  We collaborate closely with our patients to develop a strategy for removal which may include prioritizing specific areas of the sleeve for initial treatment.  Once these portions are cleared the remainder may then be targeted.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Full Removal of Tattoos with PicoSure

We have a number of patients who have achieved complete clearing of their tattoos with the PicoSure.  The likelihood of complete removal is dependent upon the colors of the tattoo, color of the patient's skin, location of the tattoo and density of the ink as well as the patient's willingness to undergo the necessary number of treatments.

Roy G. Geronemus, MD