Is Kybella as effective if you're overweight? (photos)

I'm in the process of losing 70 lbs of excess weight (have already lost 30) and thought about getting kybella injections to reduce my double chin and boost my confidence. Would I be wasting my money doing it now since I'm still overweight? Are results better after losing weight as opposed to before? It seems like most reviewers are thinner with hereditary excess chin fat and I'm wondering what the results are like for someone who is overweight. Thanks!

Kybella & Weight Loss

Bravo you for starting your weight loss journey and taking control of your health. I would encourage you to wait until you are at a maintainable goal weight before trying Kybella. You would get results if you do it now, but your face will change as you loose weight so I always think it best to wait if you can.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

It’s better to wait to have any fat reduction procedure done until you’re at or near your goal weight for the best results.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. I would recommend waiting until you’ve lost the rest of the weight to see what your chin looks like and if you even still need Kybella. There’s nothing wrong with having Kybella done now, you’ll still get results, but in general it’s better to wait to have any fat reduction procedure done until you’re at or near your goal weight for the best results.

Mary E. Hurley, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Kybella Weight Loss

Kybella is effective in shrinking fat. Weight loss is usually beneficial in the treatment period.
Weight loss after facial procedures may loosen neck skin.  This should be taken into account when consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Kybella | Weight Loss | Double Chin

Thank you for your question about Kybella.

Kybella is used primarily for destroying fat. The skin tightening is secondary.  If you lose all the weight, you may not need Kybella.  However, you may need a neck lift to tighten the loose skin.

To be sure what is best for you, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Kybella

Congratulations on loosing 30 pounds. That is an awesome accomplishment! Using Kybella on certain patients can give them a result that will boost their level of self esteem which intern motivates them to loose more wright but also motivates them to keep the weight off. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Kybella if your are overweight

Thank you for your question and picture.  As with any cosmetic procedure (especially ones that are permanent like Kybella) I always recommend that patients reach their ideal body weight before undergoing the procedure.  Chances are your neck will look different after losing another 40 pounds.  It would be beneficial to see how you look after the weight loss and then treat the areas that still are a problem.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Kybella and Weight NYC

You asked a very important question.  I typically weigh patients before starting Kybella because if you gain weight you will feel that Kybella injections were not effective.  It would be best to lose weight first since you will lose fat in that area and require less treatments.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella

Good question! It will be best to wait until you have reached your ideal weight. Then, you can visit the Kybella site to find a certified and trained provider in your area.

Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Is Kybella as effective if you're overweight?

The answer to this question is essentially the same for anything in plastic surgery. The best results are achieved when you start your treatments or have a procedure once you have already achieved everything you can on your own. In this case it would mean getting to your goal weight first. You may lose a lot of the submental fat in the process and Kybella would not have been necessary.

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Weight loss and Kybella

I agree with other reviewers that it it is probably wise to wait until you come close to your target weight before you receive Kybella injections. At that time your doctor will be able to more accurately assess whether you will need one or more treatment sessions.

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon