Does Kybella define jawline? Also, does it help if I continue to use ice pack and chin wrap after the injections?

I have a small double chin and also some fat around my jawline/neck n was wondering does the kybella treatment define the jawline, or it is only target the double chin area? Also, does it help to use ice pack and chin wrap afterwards?

Thank you for your question. There is a defined area where you can inject Kybella. We do not inject Kybella at the level of the jaw line. The level of the injections is approximately one finger breadth behind the jawline. It is also injected in the central neck, between the medial boarders of the sternal cleidomastoid muscle. And above the thyroid Cartledge. This is is the area of the double chin.

Even tough the the injections are not along the jawline patients do get an improvement in their jawline. 

Kybella specifically targets submental fat- does not define lateral jawline

My "title" says it all- Kybella can not be used to define your lateral jawline since it may injure the marginal mandibular nerve- which supplies motor power to your lower lip muscles.....

Kybella only targets your double chin fat.

Liposuction, truSculpt and other procedures like Ultherapy may be better suited to define your jawline.  Seek a detailed consultation with a BC plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic medicine and member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) for the best advice and recommendations on what will fit your needs.  A chin wrap should not be necessary after Kybella treatment but may be used if the support provides you with comfort.  Hope this help and best of luck with your results!

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Kybella targets the double chin, but the injections are tapered laterally to help define the jawline.

Kybella and Jaw Line NYC

Kybella helps to give definition by reducing the fat under the chin area.  I often combine Kybella with Botox and Thermage to help tighten the neck area and give definition.  Only ice is necessary after injections.  Please consult a specialist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella for jawline

Hi there
thanks for the question.  You are getting some mixed reviews on here I see.  I agree that Kybella is currently only FDA approved for the submental area.  We stay away from the jawline to make sure we don't injury a very important nerve that lives there.  However, as Kybella works and starts melting fat and contracting skin under the chin, I think it definitely tightens up the rest of the jaw line in the process.  It is not dramatic in everyone, but it is a rather nice side bonus.  I have discussed this with other Injectors who also agree with this pleasant side effect.  

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Kybella and Jawline Definition

Thank you for your question!  If you have a small double chin, Kybella is the perfect solution for that area.  However, the injections are not performed at the level of the jawline.  I always recommend the use of ice after Kybella injections to help with pain and swelling.  There is no need to wrap the chin though.  Best of luck to you!

Kybella and jawline

Kybella treatment does not directly treat the jawline. It targets the double chin area. You may have a secondary visual benefit that your jawline appears relatively sharper, but this is due to the reduction in your double chin while your jawline stays the same. 

Using an ice pack and chin wrap afterwards can be comforting but should be done carefully to avoid ice burns to your skin. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are using a cool pack appropriately and safely. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Thanks for your question. Kybella is used to treat the submental area for fullness (double chin). It cannot be injected into the jawline as it's not FDA-approved for use in the jawline area. Also, ice packs will work just fine after the treatment.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Jawline Defiinition

Thank you for your question.  Kybella targets the fat directly below the chin.  It is not directly injected into the jawline, or near the sides of the jawline to reduce the risk of injury to a motor nerve which controls your face.  While Kybella does not directly tighten your jawline, removal of the submental fat, I believe, helps to frame and improve this area.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and the jawline

Thank you for your question. Kybella is a great minimally invasive option to get rid of your double chin and as a result, helping to define the jawline (submental area). Kybella is an injectable product that can be used to help your body to rid itself of fat cells that form under the chin which would require 2-4 sessions for optimal results. Benefits of Kybella include:

FDA-approved for use on fat underneath the chin
Allows more control then cool sculpting over the treatment area
Minimally invasive
No downtime
Reduced fat underneath the chin
Better appearance
Youthful look
No surgery
No general anesthesia
Very rare and minimal side effects (typically bruising, pain, and redness at the injection points)

If you are interested, it’s best to have a full in-person consultation with a qualified physician.

Bruce E. Katz, MD