Can botox in the armpit really eliminate odor?

I am suffering from underarm odor for almost 7 years. It is really embarassing.. I can't smell myself but when I see reactions of people I interact with, it seems that I am stinking worse even I came from bath. I've already tried all topical deos and anti-perspirants even vinegar, baking soda, cornstach, other strong deos but still nothing works. As of now, my underarms perspire much lesser than before but I want the odor to be gone. I am wondering if this botox can really help me. Thank you.

Botox for underarm odor

Botox can help underarm odor or bromohydrosis.  The injections are usually performed every 6 months and may be covered by some insurance plans.  Another option that has longer lasting results and may be of use if the Miradry procedure which destroys the sweat glands with microwaves.

New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Botox help underarm odor?

Yes, for up to 6 months. It does so by reducing eccrine sweat which promotes bacterial growth (added to by heat and occlusion). It may also reduce odor through suppression of sweat through apocrine glands (attached to hair follicles). This sweat does contain lipids and proteins which themselves may cause odor. Botox doesn't kill any germs...it just reduces the sweat that is their breeding environment.

Michael Coverman, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Botox and Underarm Injections

Botox can stop sweating under the arms for approximately 4 to 6 months.  This decrease in sweating will also help reduce the odor.  Please consult an expert for this procedure.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox for underarm sweating

Bacteria interacting with sweat causes the odour you mention.  If antiperspirants do not help you keep dry, Botox Therapeutic is an option to decrease the sweating.  Please consult a dermatologist to assess your hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and discuss treatment options.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox for under arm odor

Thank you for asking about Botox for underarm odor.

Botox stops perspiration and the odor that comes with it by temporarily weakening the tiny muscles that squeeze sweat out from our sweat glands.
It takes a lot of Botox and it is temporary - lasting on average 3 months.
I suggest you see a dermatologist to discuss a trial of Botox - or other measures to control the odor.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes