Best laser treatment for type IV skin?

I was looking into laser genesis and the pearl fractional laser online as I wish to improve the texture of my skin but I'm concerned I will run into problems being as though I have brown skin. I don't have severe skin problems just occasional breakouts and poor texture so I'm look for something to perfect the tone of my skin and overall appearance. What is the best treatment available to deliver "flawless" skin?

Laser treatments for dark skin types

Thank you for your question. Various laser treatments are available to address different concerns. For those with darker skin types, care must be taken to minimize the risk of PIH. Nd:YAG treatments such as laser genesis are generally safe. For my patients with darker skin types I recommend resurfacing with Er:YAG lasers such as Pro Fractional Therapy rather than Er:YSGG (Cutera Pearl) to minimize the risk of PIH. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Improving Skin Texture with the PicoFOCUS

I can appreciate your concerns and address them with our patients daily.  We have had great success treating texture issues on all skin types with the PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments, once  every 4 weeks.  This treatment is non-ablative and has almost no downtime.  You will typically have a flushed complexion for 0-2 hours.  You can put your make-up on and go back to work.  After your initial visit, a typical PicoFOCUS appointment is less than 1 hour. 

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  We sometimes pair the PicoFOCUS with a Pelleve treatment for additional skin tightening.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician