Who can assist with fluid build up after liposuction?

I recently had liposuction in the DR on 6/30/16 I am happy with results, however I have some fluid build up in my lower back. Since I had surgery out of the country, where can I go to get drained?

Doctor Answers 4

Who can assist with fluid build up after liposuction?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 442 reviews

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can refer you to someone locally to best manage your post operative care. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Who can assist with problems after liposuction when performed out of the country.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am sorry to hear you have fluid build up in your lower back.  I am assuming you have a seroma or a fluid pocket where the liposuction was performed.  Basically, a seroma can be treated by a surgeon or provider such as an interventional radiologist who can aspirate the fluid or put a drain into the pocket.  The ideal person to take care of it would be the surgeon who performed the liposuction so if you can contact that person in the DR, that would be the way to start.As for who will pay for the treatment, that is another question.  You have a complication in the post-operative period of a cosmetic procedure.  Insurance may not cover that treatment, so it will be your responsibility to pay if it is not covered.Complications can happen after any surgery.  It's part of the surgeon's responsibility to take care of them when they happen.  I understand the financial appeal of traveling out of the country for cosmetic procedures, but you are taking a risk with your body.  If you have a complication you want someone to take care of you.  It's also better to have someone who will continue their follow up with you, to see how the results are and to make sure you are happy.Well, I hope you find someone who can help you out.  Best wishes with your recovery.Dr. Bastidas

Jaime Bastidas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Fluid after Surgery Out of the Country

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
No surgeon wants to mop up problems after you have had difficulties with an out of country surgery.  Contact your surgeon in the DR to see what you should do.  Unfortunately even getting on an airplane to travel back to your surgeon has some risks due to possible blood clots in your legs.  If your complication is bad enough this may be what you have to do, however, just communicating with your surgeon in the DR may be enough to handle your problem.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.