Is it normal to still experience a lot of swelling 3 months after abdominal liposuction?

I had my stomach liposuctioned 3 months ago and it still is swollen. Some days the swelling is worse then others. Is it normal to still be experiencing this 3 month post op. I didn't even have a lot of fat on my stomach and as of now my stomach looks worse than what I started with very depressing

Persistent Swelling Can Linger for Months

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. Swelling 3 months after undergoing abdominal liposuction is not outside the normal range. You should be seeing the results of the procedure emerging by now, however. If you're concerned about the lack of improvement, I would recommend visiting your plastic surgeon, have him examine you, and discuss.

Swelling 3 months after liposuction

Thanks for your question.  People heal differentl,y and different parts of the body heal differently.  That being said, on average about 2/3 swelling resolves one month after liposuction.  After three months, about 87% or most of the swelling resolves, and for many people, all the swelling has resolved.  However, there are some people, whose swelling may not resolve for six months or longer after liposuction because it takes that long for their tissue to go back to normal.  Typically, minimizing intense activity initially helps to minimize prolonged swelling after liposuction.  Hope this of luck!Joyce Chen, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Abdominal swelling after liposuction

Hello msshelly84, probably you went to your doctor for abdominal bulging and had a liposuction. If the reason of your abdominal bulging was not excess fat liposuction will not cause any benefit to your condition. So the best thing is to ask your doctor about your real abdominal problem. Good luck.

Ege Ozgentas, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - how long does swelling last?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Liposuction swelling can last 6 months or longer - and is worse some days, better on others.
  • It is also reasonable to return to see your surgeon to be checked if you have concerns - especially if you thnk things look worse than before surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Swelling can be persistent for months after surgery.  Exercise, massage, RF treatments help including vanquish or venus legacy and cellutone.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling after three months

at three months results are usually very close to final.

There may be some minor residual swelling.

I suggest you follow up with your plastic surgeon to have him or her examine you to make sure there is anything else going on.

It's too bad the results were not what you had anticipated.
Some people are good candidates for abdominal liposuction while others are not.

It's very important for the provider to be able to differentiate who has the potential for getting good results and be honest about this before the procedure.

The ability to make an accurate assessment is probably equally as important as technical skills when it comes to delivering my patient satisfaction on a regular basis.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD